• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Meat too old???

Started by jbkiron, March 28, 2008, 12:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbkiron

Hi I'am new to forum I bought a smoker from Tiny last fall works great. Really like the forum have gotten lots of good ideas, can not wait till weather gets a little nicer to get going again. I have a question,I have some pork loins that have been in freezer for two years they are vac. sealed. are they worth smokeing or should I just feed them to the dog????. They show a little freezer burn some darker areas but for most part color looks good have not thawed out yet to check smell. Thanks

Wildcat

I vac seal my meat before freezing and it will probably last 2 years with ease.  If you have freezer burn, I would recommend pitching it.  Why take the chance?  I would rather spend a few bucks on more food, than to pay a doctor to make me well again and suffer physically.  There are a couple of folks on here that are much more knowledgeable than I regarding food safety and they will probably chime in later.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Wildcat

By the way, Welcome To The Forum.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Tiny Tim

Hi JB.  The cat's a smart guy and he gave ya some good advice.  Although, myself, I'd thaw it and check the smell first, then if needed cut the freezer burnt parts off.  But that's me too....you know, won't touch a vegetable with a 10 foot pole, but might try to eat some marginal meat. :D

Ontrack

Welcome jb, I had a pork tenderloin problem here today as well. I set 2 out of the freezer yesterday afternoon to thaw, with all intentions of putting them in the refrigerator after a couple of hours. Guess what. I came home today and there they were, in the stainless steel sink with the sun beaming right in on them. They had been out almost 24 hours. At least I can blame it on the wife. ;). Needless to say, I tossed them. Sam's has them for about $2.80 per pound, so I went back and got a couple more, and they are in the refrigerator now. I'd rather pay for them twice and be well than pay for them once and be sick. I've learned from many previous mistakes I've made that it's best to err on the side of safety, and I have the scars to prove it! :)

manxman

It is important to remember that smell does not usually relate to the risk of getting food poisoning, many of the bugs that will give you food poisoning do not cause the meat to smell "off"!

Two years vac packed in itself should be ok with regards to food safety, hopefully it has not lost it's vacuum? However the fact it has freezer burn in itself would be enough for me to bin it / feed it to the dog.

Manxman

jbkiron

Thanks for the input on the old loins have not desided what to do with them yet, sure don't want to get sick and don't want my dog to get sick, might just have to give them to Tiny Ha Ha !!!!!

Just put in some ribs can't wait, been so cold have not been able to do much smoking in last month or so.     Got to go I can smell the ribs already!!!!!!!!!!

manxman

Quotesure don't want to get sick

Sure if they are cooked adequately you and/or the dogs would be fine, that is one of the the biggest causes of food poisoning.

To me good food and in particular meat and fish is all about quality (plus quantity!) so I would rather bin it and start again but that is down to individual choice.

Good luck with the ribs!!  ;) :)
Manxman

westexasmoker

I agree if the vac has not gone you might be OK, but always err on the side of caution.  If you ever had food posioning its NO FUN, just throw it out and get some more....just my .02

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

La Quinta

I say pitch em...especially with pork...

iceman

Quote from: La Quinta on March 31, 2008, 05:56:38 PM
I say pitch em...especially with pork...
Gotta go with LQ. Smart choice.

FLBentRider

When in doubt, throw it out.

Going (back) to the Grocery is better than the Infirmy.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Ontrack

Please don't give it to the dogs! :-X