• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

OK so is it good ???

Started by tvp, April 02, 2008, 09:54:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tvp

Maverick ET-73  is it Good or a Bad Product , I have read that it is cheap and has a range of 10 feet, and the design is poor ??

or does it work  ???

Thanks

TVP

Big Mike

no problems with mine, decent range, but a little less than advertised

Mr Walleye

Hi TVP

Hmmmm... My opinion on the ET73 is the unit works great for monitoring both the smoker and meat temps at the same time. I think (my opinion) where it falls short is in the wireless department. In most situations the wireless receiver falls short on it's 100 foot of range claim. Having said that there a number of people here who don't have a range problem with them so I think it depends on the enviroment that you use it in. In my situation, I have my Bradely permanently mounted in my detached heated garage which is about 60 feet from my house. Both my house and garage are stucco on the exterior which of course has stucco wire embedded in it and appears to mostly block the signal. I haven't found a better solution so I continue to use my ET73 but with out the wireless receiver. Both the ET73 and ET7 are dual probe units and are "rated" at 100 feet.

The Oregon Scientific AW131 is a dual probe unit and is "rated" at 330 feet. I would be interested to here more on this unit if anybody has any experience with it.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Mr Walleye

Ok... It looks like the Oregon Scientific AW131 is not a dual probe unit.... only 1 probe.

I thought I read that it was.

Mike

Mr Walleye

Ok.... Why... with the cordless telephone technology of 2.4 GHz, 5.8 GHz and the new DECT 6.0.... Why the he11 can't somebody make a dual probe thermometer with a decent wireless range!  ???

Ok.... I'm all done with my rant now.  ;D

Mike

Ontrack

As I've stated on here before, I have great range with my ET-73 until the batteries get weak. I smoke under a deck outside the basement door of a large brick house. My Maverick will pick up on the second floor on the opposite end of the house with no problems. I haven't tried it on the third floor, because I never go up there :-\, but it does fine in the garage, which is at least 70-80 feet from the smoker.

KyNola

As far as I am concerned, the ET-73 is a good product.  I don't have a distance problem with mine but I'm not 100 feet away either.  I like mine and will continue to use it until it craps out or something much better comes along.

Consiglieri

I'm on my second Maverick ET73; fried the first one on a high heat prime rib project.  This one has better range than the last one.  I don't know why that would be the case.

Biggest weakness in this project is the flimsy on/off switch.  I like the product nevertheless.
Consiglieri

iceman

I did the antenna modification on mine and get 100 plus on it now. The down side on the unit is the switches though. They have broken on both my units and I have to use a paper clip to turn it on or just take the batteries out. The probes have a weak spot were the wire comes out of them but if you don't kink it your good to go. Not a Cadillac but not a KIA either. Sort of the "you get what you pay for" model IMO.

tvp

Thanks for all the great input !

Picked up my BDS today from Pro Bass Shops

$ 349.99  - $ 50.00 factory rebate 

BDS for $ 300.00

TVP

La Quinta

Gotta ask a ? about the Maverick...what's up with the psychotic on and off switch if you leave on the clippy thing? Ya gotta pry that thing off to turn the unti off? Why?

tvp

I guess it is to provide water proof protection , they put it in the batt area

TVP

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: Mr Walleye on April 02, 2008, 12:06:07 PM
Ok.... Why... with the cordless telephone technology of 2.4 GHz, 5.8 GHz and the new DECT 6.0.... Why the he11 can't somebody make a dual probe thermometer with a decent wireless range!  ???

Power consumption. Cordless phones operate for usually short bursts, then are returned to their charging base.

However, this does make the case for say a 10 hour duration thermometer that is returned to a charging station.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Mr Walleye on April 02, 2008, 12:06:07 PM

Ok.... I'm all done with my rant now.  ;D

Mike

There is one out there. It's called the ProComm4. The Bentley of remote thermometers. :) ;)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)