• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

HELP First smoke Chicken and Ribs

Started by tvp, April 05, 2008, 04:47:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tvp

Hi Guys , need help , want to smoke some Chicken breasts and some pork ribs for my first smoke ,

Can I do then together and what puck,s do I Use ( Apple , Hickory, or ?? ) for both ??

Need  help with rub and cooking times , smoke time ,  temp setting etc,

::)and do I put the ribs on top or the chicken on top ?

HELP !

Thanks

TVP

Rookietoo

I haven't been smoking for long but I would use apple.  I would put the chicken on top because the food closer to the bottom cooks faster and the ribs will probably take longer.  I have read that a temp for 250-275 works pretty good for a slow roast.  Good luck :)

Habanero Smoker

Are you doing skinless breast?

I generally place chicken on top, but another option is to place the chicken on the bottom, if you want the benefit of the fat and seasonings of the ribs basting the breast. Which ever way you place the meats, the chicken breast will finish much sooner then the ribs. If doing both types of meat at the same time, I generally shoot for 200°F - 220°F.

Of the two woods, I prefer apple for chicken and pork, but if you want a stronger smoke flavor you can go for hickory, or a combination of both.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

tvp

Skinless breast , is the plan ,

So ribs for 4 hrs @ 220 and 4 hrs of smoke as well ?

Chicken @ 220 deg F and 4 hrs of smoke ?

Would that work

TVP

Rookietoo

I would check the IT at  that time wrap in foil and finish in the oven.

Habanero Smoker

This may be too late. Chicken I generally apply 2 hours of smoke, and with chicken breast, I take that up to an internal temperature of 150°F - 155°F.

If they are spare ribs they will take 6 - 8 hours to finish, baby backs take less time. I generally apply 2-3 hours of smoke to ribs. I generally take the ribs out when the meat has pull back from the bone about 1".

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)