• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

I am realy getting into this smokeing lark !!!!

Started by hollyandtheivybhx, April 07, 2008, 01:03:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hollyandtheivybhx

I have just smoked yesterday :-

1) Rainbow Trout
2) Mixed Nuts
3) Course Sea Salt
4) Another load of Garlic

All these items (except for the trout which was our sunday dinner) is selling so well on the Farmers Market  ;D

Lin

La Quinta

Looks awesome Lin...is that parchment paper under the nuts and salt? I usually use foil and poke about 100 holes in it to let the smoke "through". Does the parchment work (and I've been wasting my time with a toothpick? :)

iceman

All looks and sounds good to me Lin. Keep the wonderful pictures coming for everyone to enjoy. I've got to try the smoked garlic for sure.

iceman

Quote from: La Quinta on April 07, 2008, 01:55:28 PM
Looks awesome Lin...is that parchment paper under the nuts and salt? I usually use foil and poke about 100 holes in it to let the smoke "through". Does the parchment work (and I've been wasting my time with a toothpick? :)
Hey there LQ;
I use parchment paper in the smoker all the time. Works really well when smoking fish and makes cleanup a breeze.

FLBentRider

I have used cheesecloth when I smoke almonds, would that work better than parchment ?  Or at least allow more smoke to contact the product ?

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

West Coast Kansan

The jerky screens should work well if you can get them. Clean up  ???

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

hollyandtheivybhx

Tried the jerky trays, but unfortunatly the small nuts fall through, but neaver thought about muslin cloth / cheese cloth FLBentRider  ;D will give it a try next time for the nuts which the way things are going will be tonight after I get home from work

Lin

Mr Walleye

Lin

The Jerky Trays are different then the Jerky Screens. The screens lay on top of your regular racks. I'm not sure if they would work for you or not. Here is a link to a picture of them from Yard & Pool.

http://www.yardandpool.com/Bradley-Smoker-Jerky-Drying-Screens---Set-of-4-p1305.html

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

hollyandtheivybhx

Mike,

Thanks for the post, but it looks like the screens have the same mesh size as the trays I purchased  ;)., BUT MY BUBBA PUCKS HAVE COME TODAY thanks to Yard & Pool !!! ;D

Lin

Gizmo

I have been researching some hi temp jerky screens.  The smaller hole screens only have a 1/8 inch square hole.  Most pine nuts won't fit through.  As soon as I get some pricing I'll post the information for those interested.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

hollyandtheivybhx

I would be very interested on the jerky screens information when you get it and especially if they ship to the UK  ;)

Lin

bullsi1911

I am interested in how you do the salt.  What is the technique you use?  What temp, how much smoke, etc...?

FLBentRider

About the screens: I dried some jerky last night, and the batches on the screens took longer than the ones on the racks. It seems to me that the racks tend to conduct heat to the product were the screens act as an insulator.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!