• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

DBS - Can it Handle a Big Fresh Ham or Two?

Started by littlebitt, April 10, 2008, 09:15:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

littlebitt

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, so please go easy.  I am considering purchasing a 6 rack DBS, however before I do so I thought I'd better find out if it will do what I want it to.

I purchased a "cute little country style" smokehouse, and used it to smoke about 8 hams and lots of bacon.  It worked well but need alot of "Babysitting", and would take forever and a day to smoke a ham and to get the internal temp to 152.  My last ham killed the cute little smoker  :'(, wires complete burned off of the heating element, therefore it has been returned.

Now I'm at the point where the hog is ready to be butchered, and have no smoker.  Being that we raise and process our own hogs, I have some really big hams to work with (in the range of 20-25 lbs.)  If I purchase the DBS, 6 rack, will it be able to do the job? ???

I usually dry for 12 hours at 120, smoke for 8 & 1/2 hours at 145, the take it to an internal temp of 152 with the smoker at 165, will the DBS do this and how long will it possible take to do this.

The pics and info on this site about bacons almost have me convinced to make the purchase, my concern is the hams.

Any advice, or suggestions will be appreciated.

Habanero Smoker

It should hold one whole ham if you hang it. Just to make sure, what is the average size at it's widest point, and longest length or your average hams. That will give members who have the 6 rack DBS a better idea if it will fit.

Use a smoke stick or wooden dowel, cut to fit in the smoker and rest it on the top shelf brace. I have the OBS, and I occasionally have smoke 10-12 hams (shank end), and that barely fits on a tray, but hanging a 20-25 pound ham shouldn't be a problem.

I've never done a ham that big, but I smoke them similar to the way you do. For a 10-12 pound er, I air dry for 8 hours at 110°F - 120°F; apply smoke at 130° - 140°F for four hours; then finish at 210°F - 220°F until an internal temperature of 152°F. I've never timed the last stage

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

littlebitt

The last ham I smoked was 12 inches wide and almost 15 inches long.  I guess we could cut the ham to fit the rack, a little more off at the shank.

Habanero Smoker

The height is not a problem, I don't have that measurement at this time, but I do know it is longer then 15 inches in the 6 rack model. The inside of the smoker is 11.5 inches deep and 15.5 inches wide. Hams are sort of oval shape so measuring the thickness the other way, if it is less then 11.5 inches it will fit.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Ontrack

The interior of the 6 rack digital is 25 1/2 inches tall. With the v-tray installed, it is 19 inches of usable space.

Ontrack

Quote from: Ontrack on April 11, 2008, 03:37:11 PM
The interior of the 6 rack digital is 25 1/2 inches tall. With the v-tray installed, it is 19 inches of usable space.

Please ignore my misinformation in that post. I should have stated the Digital 4 rack instead of the 6 rack. I hope my post didn't confuse anyone or cause any problems. :-[ I would imagine an adult beverage or three had something to do with the incorrect info...

Habanero Smoker

Ontrack;

Thanks for the correction. With all the Bradley models, and types of adult beverages; it easy to make an error once in awhile.  I make enough without the adult beverages. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Ontrack