• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

My first try at ribs

Started by Smoking Duck, April 22, 2008, 10:50:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoking Duck

OK guys and gals...... this is my first try at ribs as I wanted to wait until my PID was good to go.  Just put them in about 15 minutes ago.  Running with 3 hours of pecan/oak combo on the smoke.

Here's my question:

I've read some will then foil after the smoke is finished and some don't.  Are there any pros/cons to foiling or not foiling?  And, if you do foil, are they wrapped tightly or loosely to finish up the cooking in the Bradley?  Can't figure out which way to go and I'd like for these to come out edible if at all possible.....my daughter has been begging me to do ribs and I'd like to see her be able to eat some of them anyways  ;D

Thanks!

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Wildcat

Have not experimented with ribs much.  I have done 6 batches of them.  The first go round I did not cook enough and they turned out kind of chewy.  After that I smoked for 3 hours and then continued to cook until the meat started pulling back from the bones.  I spritzed with apple juice anytime I opened the door.  I then FTC'd until almost dinner time (a couple of hours), then put Ice's sauce on them and kind of partially dried them on a hot grill.  Always turned out great.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Smoking Duck

So you don't use foil when you do ribs, Wildcat?  And the come out pretty good?  I'm thinking the less work for me, the better, so not sure if I want to foil or not.  This is a small load (5 lbs) so I figure about 6 hours oughta do it.

Mr Walleye

Marc

I usually foil mine with a squirt of AJ for about 3 or 4 hours after the smoke is complete but I do like my ribs to come clean off the bone when you bit them. I think it is personal preferance, either way they are always good. I usually do finish them off with sauce on the grill for just enough time to stiffin the sauce.

Hmmm.... Now I'm hungry!  ???

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Consiglieri

Remove the membrane, smear with a mustard slather, rub with your favorite spice.

Preheat to 250 and load up your pucks (I use about 2 hours worth, usually apple or pecan or a combo of them with a maple or two).  Smoke between 210 and 220.  About 3 hours into the project, I start basting with apple juice every 45 minutes or so until done.  About an hour from the finish time (when the meat has pulled back from the ends of the bone), I'll baste with sauce and repeat about 30 minutes later.

I do not use foil while cooking and haven't had a dryness problem.  When I pull them out, I will spray with apple juice(or sauce) and FTC for a while.  I like the results.

Good luck and go get em.
Consiglieri

Smoking Duck

Thanks guys!  Got about an hour left of smoke.  Gonna try them without the foil this time and with the foil next time.  I am smoking them at 215, so I think the temp is right where I want em.  I'll switch them around after the smoke and spritz with AJ.  Baste the last hour with sauce and then with 30 minutes left.

Thanks for the help as always guys!

Ontrack

Making my mouth water, duck. I have never foiled, and sometimes I'll FTC, sometimes I don't. Sometimes sauce, sometimes not. Sounds to me like you're on you way to a delicious meal!

Smoking Duck

About 5 more minutes and I'll be slathering with the sauce.  Should it concern me that the meat isn't starting to pull away from the bones yet?

iceman

Quote from: Smoking Duck on April 22, 2008, 03:25:21 PM
About 5 more minutes and I'll be slathering with the sauce.  Should it concern me that the meat isn't starting to pull away from the bones yet?
If you going to toss them in foil and in the oven for a bit no. If not they might not be done to the tender point yet.

FLBentRider

I did some baby backs, they came out drier than I would have preferred. Next time I will use St Loius ribs, and I will put 3 hours of Hickory on them, and then foil wrap them and put them in the oven for an hour or so @ 200.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Consiglieri

babybacks won't pull back as much.  Spareribs will pull back 1/2 inch or more.  I wouldn't stop the cooking unless you are satisfied that the ribs are done.  Just like all smoker stuff, more art than science.  Check out these factors for "doneness."

Approprate internal temperature
Cooking time about 6 hours at 210
Color consistent with adequate cooking
meat pulling back away from the ends of the bones
Limpness (don't know what else to call it): the tendency of the rack of ribs to droop towards the ground when you hold one end
The ability to push a toothpick through the rack without much effort
If you're hungry, no one's looking, and you can trim up the rack to hide what you've done, the ability to pull off some meat or a rib with little effort.

Waiting-- I'm not very good at it.  But at least it provides more opportunity for adult beverages.  Hang in there, Duck.
Consiglieri

La Quinta

I read this entire post...do we know what kind of ribs he's smoking? Sorry maybe I missed it? We all know there is a difference...

Ontrack

Good catch of the obvious, LQ. We were all too deep in it to realize...if it ain't babybacks, then I'm totally clueless. I'd bet the duck is stuffing his face with some good ribs, though. :D

La Quinta

If so...we didn't help very much!! :) That's kool...nice to have him back!!

Smoking Duck

Sorry guys....was making baby back ribs.  I took half out and ate them but wasn't quite satisfied.  Since I've now got a small 3.5 lb flat in the smoker, I foiled the remaining ribs and put them in the oven at 220.  They finished better.  I should know better than to try and do something by time when smoking in the Bradley.  My paesan said it correctly: Smoking is more of an art than a science.  They were pretty good ribs all the same, though I do think I should cut down on the cayane pepper a bit......caught my 7 year old daughter dragging her butt across the living room floor after she got done eating 'em.  ;D

It sure is good to be back!