• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

HI! New guy here. A few questions for the experts.....

Started by Tommy_Bee, April 15, 2008, 01:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommy_Bee

Hey folks, I'm new to this forum. I'm thinking about getting an OBS. I've never smoked meat before so I had a few quick questions.

-Is the OBS recommended for beginners?
-What should a beginner look for in a smoker
-How does this product compare to the OLD SMOKEY or the BRINKMAN smokers?
-Can anyone recommend a smaller electric smoker?
-How accurate is the thermostat?
-Do the Flavor Bisquettes work well and are they worth the extra $$?

I'm sure these same questions have been answered in this forum so sorry, as I said I'm brand new to this site and smoking. 

-Thank you

gscheig

I'm a new owner, so I'll try and help you out.

-Is the OBS recommended for beginners?
I have the OBS and enjoy it.  DBS is a step up, but if you see yourself ever getting a PID (temp control) for the unit, you will have redundant capabilities.

-What should a beginner look for in a smoker
Depends what you want - I have had a charcoal one, an electric brinkmann and the Bradley.  The Bradley is far easier to use and I use it more because of this - almost, "set it and forget it".  However, the "cool factor" of tending the fire, finding the perfect piece of wood, etc. does not exist.  That being said, the results are much more consistently good.

-How does this product compare to the OLD SMOKEY or the BRINKMAN smokers?
Easier to use so you will probably use it more.

-Can anyone recommend a smaller electric smoker?
OBS is about the size of a dorm fridge - light weight also.  I keep mine in the garage and put it on a glass table when I smoke.

-How accurate is the thermostat?
Most on this forum get a Maverick 2 probel electronic thermostat - one probe used for meat and one for temp inside.  My thermostat on the door is reasonably accurate however, but the Mavericks are worth the $40 or so on Amazon.

-Do the Flavor Bisquettes work well and are they worth the extra $$?
Yes, yes, yes.  They are great, work well and you just have to make sure you don't OVER smoke your food - opposite of the problem with most of them.

Good luck - as you peruse this forum, you will get lots of great ideas.

Tommy_Bee

Toker

Hi Tommy welcome to this forum me i rather the original bradley smoker cause its easyer to do cold smoke. You can easyly detach the smoke generator to get lower temperatures. Thats why i sujest this one more than the dbs. This is why the bradleys are better choice than other smokers youll find on the market. To be able to both hot and cold smoking is a real must! They (original and digital) are about the same seize. The diference as far as i know is the sensor cord. More difficul for cold smoke if you use the dbs. The thermometer on the door seems working well but purchasing an extra one like maverick ET73 would be a wise choice to be able to check the smoker and meat temp at the same time (maverick is dual probes). As far as the thermostat goes its a bit touchy cause theres no way to be sure of the actual temp youre choosing cause its not graduated thats why most of us use a pid or a bbq guru. Also when others reply to your post clic on the smoker icon (sorry dont have this feature my self) and youll be redirect to a great recipies site made specially for and by bradley smokers people. Hope i helped you and once again welcome here man!

iceman

Well said gscheig. I think for the bucks vs results the Bradley is an ideal choice for the casual smoker.
I've been very happy with mine through the years.

Toker

Sorry i forgot to advise you about something youll also need the bubba puck to make sure your wood chips are completly burned and getting better results this way.

tturaider

Tommy I think gccheig said about everything that I could say with what you had asked.  I do enjoy how easy it is to get consistant smoked products out of the bradley compared to anyother type of smoker. I dont think you will be dissapointed if you do end up buying a bradley.
Smoke like your from Texas....use Mesquite

Mr Walleye

Tommy

Welcome to the forum. I think the others pretty much have everything covered. As indicated earlier if you click on the smoker in the bottom of my post it will open up Olds Recipes site. It's filled with tried and true recipes for the Bradley.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Wildcat

Tommy,

Welcome to the forum.  These guys have said it all.  IMHO the BS (either model) is the best buy for the money.  It is suitable for the beginner, the experienced and everything in between.  You can't go wrong.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Tommy_Bee

Thank you all for your kind words and helpful info. I will definitely be on this forum a lot.

westexasmoker

Tommy

I agress with everything said above, I too am new to the BS and I must say its an incredible tool!!  Last week I smoked an 9 lb. bone in ham in 60 mph winds here in west texas (had it lashed down with motorcycle straps  ;D) got home from work temp still at 210.  Must say it was one of the best I've done, but NO way it could have been on my other smoker...its him again, set the neighborhood on fire again!!

And welcome to the forum!! :D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

La Quinta

Welcome TommyB..nice to have ya on board!! Lotsa smart smoking gurus on here!!!

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!