• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Just got my OBS and I gettin' ready to smoke!! Question....

Started by Tommy_Bee, April 28, 2008, 07:28:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommy_Bee

So I just got the OBS and a dual prong thermometer.  I want to try ribs and a brisket. Any suggestions on what flavor bisquette I should use?

also...

Any advice on first time use of the OBS, like Prepping, cleaning and testing? I want to make sure it works before I spent a day buying and seasoning meat. Thanks!!

Wildcat

Welcome aboard TB!  As a first smoke, I would recommend apple on the ribs and brisket.  It will produce a mild flavor.  After that, if you want a stronger smoke flavor or one that is a little more harsh, the go to oak, hickory, or mesquite.

As far as prep, follow the directions that should have come with the unit.  Wipe everything down, and season.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

tturaider

Welcome abord TB....I am by now way an expert on here but there are many on here that are.  Be sure to ask any question no matter how crazy you think is cuz someone else has done it before and can help you with it.  Good luck and happy smoking!!!
Smoke like your from Texas....use Mesquite

Toker

Welcome on this forum pal 1st i would start by seasonning it i mean running it empty to make sure everything works well and for taking of the old smell also getting a set of bubba puck would be good to make sure that your wood burn completly and not only half.

As far as wood flavor its up to you there are to many opinions some use hickory some cherry some apple it up to you for the brisket just make a little search on this forum to make your own opinion im not the best adviser but there are alot of post about it. check this link its full of recipies for bradley. Hope i helped a bit at least.    www.susanminor.org

Stickbowcrafter

Welcome. Sounds like everyone covered the basics. Whatever you decide to start with, just pay attention to the temperature of the smoker and the internal temperature of the meat. It's really that simple. Good luck!

-Brian

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E !

I like Hickory on pork, but them we like our smoke flavor strong.

I season the smoker with the "special blend" - no one seems to have a "designated" use for that flavor.

The only other thing to be said is that time is not a big deal - internal temperature of the meat is. Try to make sure you have the probe in the middle of the meat - it is hard to tell if you are in a fat "pocket" - but I have seen (on boston pork butts in particular) that will give a reading of 10 to 15 degrees higher than the meat. I have had the same size load take hours longer that the previous session. No rhyme or reason...

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)