• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Survived the sausage--need a little more advice from y'all

Started by Ken Riddle, May 08, 2008, 08:02:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Riddle

Hi yall!

Thanks for all the tips on the sausage/curing stuff a couple of weeks ago.  I have managed to survive, but have some cure for the next batch!

I have a thing coming up monday nite that I need some good smoked sausage and hambones for.  I don't have time to do another batch of andoullie, and the commercial smoked sausage I can get here in Tennessee just doesn't cut it.

Can anyone give me some advice on this-

Can I take some commercial smoked sausage and give it three hours or so of smoke in the BS?  If I do, does it need to be a hot smoke?  I would rather not break the fat by getting too hot, but I don't want to poison anybody.  What can I do?  Suggested temp for a hot smoke or can I cold smoke?

I tossed a hambone from a honey baked ham in the smoker last weekend with a pork roast and it came out really great to season with (and the leftover ham on it was amazing).  It was done in a hot smoker with a pork roast, so it was plenty warm.

How about it y'all?  Don't want to make anybody sick!

Thanks to all of you-this is a wonderful board-

Ken

pensrock

If I were to purchase some sausage, like kielbasa of something like that to put in the smoker I would hot smoke it because you do not know if any cure was used during the processing of the meat.
Now I have cold smoked some small breakfast links but only for a half hour or so and it was quite cold outside so I am confidant the meat was not in a bad temperature range that could cause any illness.

Habanero Smoker

You will have to read the ingredients lable to see if sodium nitrite has been added. If not you will need to hot smoke it. For hot smoking ground meat and sausage you need to keep the smoker at 225°F or above, and it will come out fine. It's no worse then sauteing or roasting the sausage. It will suffer a little in smoke flavor, and color. Just keep in mind you don't want to cook beyound 155°F, and I would take them out at 150°F, but you need to check 2 or three sausageds on each rack to ensure that all the sausage on the tray is at least 150°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)