• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Spare Ribs

Started by FLBentRider, May 18, 2008, 11:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLBentRider

I have been experimenting with rib recipes – I usually use Alton Brown's recipe/ method but decided to adapt it to the Bradley – This is what we did yesterday.

12 lb's spare ribs – 3 racks
Dry Rub:
1 Cup Dark brown sugar, tightly packed
1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
2 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon jalapeno seasoning
1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
1 teaspoon rubbed thyme
1 teaspoon onion powder
Braising Liquid:
2 cups white wine (I would _not_ use cooking wine – too much salt)
4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (I _always_ leave this ingredient out – allergic to Anchovies)
2 tablespoon honey
4 cloves garlic, chopped
I cut each rib slab in half to fit the smoker racks

Mix the rub well and rub them down and put them in zip-top bags. Refrigerate overnight.

Pre-Heat Smoker to 200
Remove ribs from bags, reserve any rub/liquid in the bag – refrigerate for use later.
Apply 3 pucks of Hickory

Pre-heat oven to 200
Remove ribs from smoker – place 2 half-racks in glass baking dish. Pour 1/3 of Braising Liquid and 1/3 of rub/liquid over ribs. Cover with foil. (You could make a foil boat here instead) (next time I will make another 1/2 batch of rub and apply it here too)

Place in oven for 2 ½ to 4 hours, until ribs are tender – (I did 2 ½ hours, some racks were falling apart, the thicker ones could have used more time)

Remove from oven – remove racks from baking dish – pour any liquid from each dish into a saucepot. Bring to a boil on high heat – boil until liquid volume is reduced by ½ or sauce begins to thicken.

Brush sauce over ribs, place ribs under broiler until sauce begins to caramelize (you should not take your eyes off them here)
I cut the ribs apart using a cleaver – serve with the sauce on the side or you can toss it all in a BIG bowl and serve.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

HCT

Looks tasty. I'm always looking for something new. Maybe add a little expresso granuales in the rub. :)
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

La Quinta

So FL...just so I understand...you smoked for an hour...then braised? Interesting...I don't know why I would think the ribs would "lose" the smoke flavor with all that wine?? Just curious...? Did they retain the smokey flavor?

FLBentRider

LQ -

Yes, I wanted to add the smoke - you could definitely taste it, and since everything that comes out of the braise gets reduced to the sauce, the rub, wine, garlic, meat drippings.. it adds the smoke flavor to the sauce.

The original (non smoked) method has you rub, foil boat, overnight in the fridge. then braise the next day.

Here is a link to the recipe I based this on : http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_11125,00.html

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

La Quinta

Got it...thanks...I like the concept and see the point now that the juices that "render" bring the smoke with them, then the reduction would no doubt concentrate the smoke it the sauce...thanks FL...appreciate the post!! :)

FLBentRider

The ribs by themselves still had a good smoke flavor without the sauce.
No problem, I am still tweaking the method, it will probably take me a few more batches to get it "right"

I don't know how you can "wash" the smoke flavor off, that stuff is amazing.
I have smoked green beans then steamed them, still taste it...
The smell of Hickory smoked pulled pork can get through a freezer-grade zip-top bag....

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

La Quinta

Yeah...I agree FL but it really was the wine that threw me...concentrated wine can take over (not a bad thing) just strong flavors competing...