• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pulled Pork

Started by Kurt, May 17, 2008, 11:20:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kurt

Heres a rub that I have used 3 times now and tastes great:

1        Cup packed brown sugar
1/2     Cup paprika
2 1/2  TBS ground black pepper
2 1/2  TBS Kosher or sea Salt
1 1/2  TBS Chili Powder
1 1/2  TBS Garlic Powder
1 1/2  TBS Onion Powder
1-2     tsp of Cayenne-you call

This make plenty for at least a couple of pork butts and some ribs. I put the extra into a food saver canaster and keep for the next time.

Mix all the above in to a bowl and rub on the night before. One hr before smoke, remove from fridge and rub again. I have smoked 3 now at 220 until the IT reachs 165. I then wrap it in foil, with all of the seams towards the top. That way, the juice that does come out will pool at the bottom. I stick the probe back in through the foil and cook to a IT of 190-193.

Remove it at this point and wrap in a towel and put in the cooler. I did my first and second for 2 hrs. When I removed it from the foil, I was careful to not spill the juice and poured it into a pan. I then pulled the pork and put it into a large bowl. Then, I  poured some of the juice back over the meat and mixed. You can sprinkle some of the rub into the meat also which adds great flavor.

This is very similar to the other ways that I have read on here on how to cook a butt. Just a couple of different things to consider. Trust me, they turn out great and by pouring the juice back over the meat, I think it adds a little bit more smoke flavor.

Kane

sounds good Kurt, Ill have to try this rub soon.  something I always do - pulled pork always seems to get cold so fast once you start tearing it apart. I always have a small preheated slow cooker ready. I pour the juices from the foil wrap in the cooker and maybe add a lil apple juice if needed. than as I pull the meat apart I just toss the pieces in with the juice than I sprinkle some rub in and mix it up. is nice this way cuz the meat stays nice and hot for 2nd and 3rd helpings.  ;D

Mr Walleye

Kane.... I like how you think!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

FLBentRider

Ours doesn't get cold - it gets eaten...  :D
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Wildcat

Quote from: FLBentRider on May 18, 2008, 11:25:30 AM
Ours doesn't get cold - it gets eaten...  :D

Same here.  I always smoke up a bunch, eat what we want that day, then separate the rest into bunches for future meals, vacuum seal, and freeze all the meal portions individually.  Then I simply simmer in hot water for 30 to 40 minutes when I want some.  Never has time to get cold.  I do brisket the same way except to heat it I boat with apple juice and put into oven until hot.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

FLBentRider

Wildcat -
Have you ever had the bag un-seal in the hot water ? the only one I did that way did that - it was almost a pork disaster!

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Wildcat

Quote from: FLBentRider on May 18, 2008, 12:35:04 PM
Wildcat -
Have you ever had the bag un-seal in the hot water ? the only one I did that way did that - it was almost a pork disaster!

Yeppers!  The first one did because I was letting it heat in boiling water.  I was in the kitchen when it un-sealed and could smell the smoke flavor.  Luckily the part of the seal that came open was above the waterline, so it turned out OK.  I have done plenty since then and have never had one un-seal since.  I simply keep the water under the boiling point.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

FLBentRider

I had smoked, sealed and transported that butt 200 miles to serve at a weekend get-together with some on-one friends of the Mrs. -  I had read about the seal-reheat method so I tried it.

It was the bottom of the bag that unsealed and sent the entire roast into the water. Luckily I was there when it let go and got it out of the water right away. They still said it was the best pulled pork they ever had!

;D

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: FLBentRider on May 18, 2008, 01:27:34 PM
I had smoked, sealed and transported that butt 200 miles to serve at a weekend get-together with some on-one friends of the Mrs. -  I had read about the seal-reheat method so I tried it.

It was the bottom of the bag that unsealed and sent the entire roast into the water. Luckily I was there when it let go and got it out of the water right away. They still said it was the best pulled pork they ever had!

;D

If you put a small slit at the top of the bag (just below the seal), and situate so the slit remains above water, you are less likely to have a break at the seam.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

West Coast Sausage Maker

Trying your recipe Kirk .... A few more hours and I'll be chowin' down.
Here it is 4 hours into it. Its at 155 deg now and Ill bring her up to 190 int.

here's a pic at 4 hours

soylent green is people

West Coast Sausage Maker

Kurt..... Thats some pretty good pulled pork...Will do this rec again.

Thanks   

Mike
soylent green is people

FLBentRider

Thanks Habs,
I'll try that next time, as well as bumping up the seal level on the sealer.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Kurt

Thanks T B S. I'm glad it turned out for you.