• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Jerky - ground meat

Started by Buck36, May 23, 2008, 02:42:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buck36

Does anyone do much with ground meat for jerky?

When we process our deer we typically grind it after boning out the meat. I have relatives that prefer the jerky done with the ground since it is easier to chew and the jerky gun makes it pretty easy work. I typically use Hi Mountain but was wanting to try some other recipes with cure added. Any ideas?

NePaSmoKer

Hi Buck

I do alot of jerky, beef, venison, buffalo, ground hog, and all sorts of game.

When i do a grind of game i cut it with some fat. I dont use Hi Mtn anymore, just cant get the taste from it. There are alot of wet marinades for GM, you just dont add so much to get it too googy.

I have done GM jerky in the Bradley, it turns out pretty good, just watch the temp.

nepas

Buck36

Nepas,

Thanks for the information. I never thought of using some of the wet marinades for the ground meat and will give it a try. Can I add cure to any jerky recipe or will it affect the taste?

I only use the Bradley to add some smoke and then it all gets thrown in the dehydrator. I liked the Hi Mountain because the meat would bind well and the extruded strips wouldn't fall apart on the racks. I have seen recipes where people have used dry milk as a binder. Have you ever experimented with this or is it better to simply use less liquid?