Lordie Helps these folks

Started by Oldman, August 21, 2008, 02:57:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

TS Fay stalled Wednesday (0 mph.) Dumped 24.8" of rain close to Melbourne. Many areas 5 feet of water. It sustained 65 mph winds and IT WAS NOT MOVING! Ask yourself just how long could your home hold up to hours upon hours of 65 mph wind. Or how long could your nerves last.

It has now started to move some but from where it was Wed at 8am to where it will be today at 8am I could drive my car that far in something over one hour.

They are looking for 30" of rain today. There are reports of Gators swimming down streets and one family catching catfish in their back yard. It is not expected to exit Florida until Saturday morning. When it does exit about 1/2 of it will again be back over the Gulf of Mexico where it can gain more strength.

One of strange things about this storm is it gained strength over the glades. That just does not happen!

And it is only a TS! Only a TS??? Look at the size of this sucker. It almost has an eye.

Lordie help those folks.
Olds

EDIT: This is why no matter where you live--flood plane or not--everyone should have flood insurance.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

FLBentRider

People tend to forget that these storms are a "rain event" in addition to a "wind event".

The wind gets all the press for the spectacular damage it can cause, but the water hangs around longer and can cause more damage.

Although some storms don't seem to dump as much rain as others.

Go figure.

Those peeps are about an hour North of me.

The people that make thier livelyhood on lake Okeechobee, however, are dancing in the flooded streets!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Oldman

As of this posting 11:05 am Thurs.

Update: It is still off shore...dang! It will take it the rest of today, Friday, Saturday and sometime NOW early Sun just to get the center out of the State of Florida. It does not end there.... those areas will still be getting heavy rains until Tue sometime.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

westexasmoker

Being from west texas we're used to having wind events all through the spring, but for the life of me I can't imagine 24-30 inches of rain in a 24 hour period!  Time to build an ark and start rounding up the animals!  Thoughts and prayers with ya'll!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Wildcat

Looks like I am in the path where it is expected to exit Florida.  I am about 5 miles north and 15 miles east of Pensacola.  I am on a hill, so any flooding will just hamper travel.  With luck Fay will pick up some forward speed and just give us some rain.  We could use 4 or 5 inches here.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Oldman

QuoteI can't imagine 24-30 inches of rain in a 24 hour period! 
Yes  it is a nightmare, but to make matters worse as I'm posting this Fay has picked up speed...it is now traveling at a WHOLE 2 MILES PER HOUR. From edge to edge Fay is several hundred mile across at its widest, so you can compound that 24-30"of rain in 24 hours by days(?). (Unless it speeds up.)

QuoteI am on a hill, so any flooding will just hamper travel.  With luck Fay will pick up some forward speed and just give us some rain.
Glad you are on a hill. Where I'm at we are sloping towards the bay.

Seen several inches of water moving a good 20 mph through my front yard during big T-storms. In the 50s when they built out this side of town they did not install any storm drains. On our slope we are 8 blocks from the top so we get a lot of running water.

Good Luck my friend...
Olds

FLBentRider

Wildcat,
Looks like you are getting to meet Fay!

Take Care!

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Oldman

Quote from: FLBentRider on August 22, 2008, 07:07:04 PM
Wildcat,
Looks like you are getting to meet Fay!

Take Care!

Ya stay dry...

Wildcat

Yeppers, it looks like the fickle feline is heading here.  Looking forward to some rain.  Just hope she speeds up some because we only need about 4 or 5 inches.  Any more than that will just run off and become a pain in the butt.  Hope we do not get any tornados.

FLBentRider

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

La Quinta

I read that this was the first storm on record that actually formed an "eye" over land...

FLBentRider

It's those F-Storms - Fay , Frances, they are like a house guest that overstays their welcome.

They won't L E A V E!!!

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Wildcat

Well, Fay was a little disappointing here.  They predicted 8 to 15 inches of rain.  I got almost an inch.  The center went right over us.  All the rain was East and North of us.  We needed a little more.  Played golf today with some 20 to 30 mph gusts.