• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

My first fatties

Started by mrmodine, July 15, 2008, 07:38:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrmodine

Again, many thanks to all but especially...Nepas!

After seeing all the talk about fatties, I had to try me a pair.

Used the Nepas recipe for seasoning and cure and went with 1lb ground beef and 1 lb plain pork sausage.  I also wrapped in bacon which I probably won't do the next time.  I think the bacon absorbed too much of my hickory.

Anyway, smoked for 2.5 hours on hickory and then cooked at 225 til done.

Pics attached.  No pics included of my neighbors begging for more after the free samples.  I think I need to start dealing!

josbocc

Oh my my my.  Don't those look absolutely, dripping off the chin, staining your tee-shirt, goooood!!!  Nice job mrm, might have to try me some of those soon.  Bet they go good with a tall, cold, barley flavored beverage.

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

love the smoke

These fatties look awesome, can someone post the recipe or a link to it I would love to try them  Thanks

LTS
LTS

westexasmoker

I'm gonna have to find the recipe myself, thinking about some for Thursday night, really you can put anything in them!  But seems like want to hit IT of 160 as quick as possible, lets do a search and find Nepas his are the bomb!!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

westexasmoker

Hadn't found nepas's yet heres BCDs take on them....look pretty good!

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=7526.0

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

La Quinta

NePa is the "Fattie King"!!

Did you stuff them? Can't tell by the pic? I usually go a wee bit hot with the stuffing...like jalepenos...chedder...innocuous colorful peppers...and some Iceman sauce...yum...

The beauty of fatties...is you can tailor them to your own taste!!

deb415611

Quote from: love the smoke on July 15, 2008, 04:46:51 PM
These fatties look awesome, can someone post the recipe or a link to it I would love to try them  Thanks

LTS

Here is one of Nepas      http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=6801.0 

LQ -   like the sound of your stuffing - going to have to put it on the list (the list that grows faster than I have time to smoke )   

love the smoke

Yes I thik them Fatties are on the menue for this weekend I am on call anyway so good reason to smoke  ;)  ;D

LTS
LTS

La Quinta

Hey Deb...many use other ingredients...I like a veggie stuff...kinda lightens up the sausage and bacon....I also use hot sausage...like to make the hubby think twice!!!! He is a trooper!!! :) If I make it...he eats it!!! (Oh...I do ask to him comment on the flavor)!!! I'm not a total beast!!! :)

mrmodine

I didn't stuff them this time.  Might try it sometime though...maybe cheese and pepperoni or something like that.

I'm kind of a wimp for the spice...my stomach pays me back in spades when I push it.

I've got 8lbs of salmon brining now and will smoke over alder tonight.  Then, ready for the boston butt shoulder this weekend.

-CS

mrmodine

Quote from: westexasmoker on July 15, 2008, 04:52:51 PM
I'm gonna have to find the recipe myself, thinking about some for Thursday night, really you can put anything in them!  But seems like want to hit IT of 160 as quick as possible, lets do a search and find Nepas his are the bomb!!

C

Here ya go!  http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=6801.0

This is the NePa recipe I followed (mostly anyway).

Have fun!

-CS

Buck36

I am going to try these this weekend but I would like to use venison. Do you think it will be too dry?

Most recipes I mix pork with it when substituting it in but I would prefer not to mix.

.....looks like some more experimenting will be needed.

KyNola

Buck,
I did some fatties using 100% very lean venison.  While they were very tasty, they did get pretty dry after they had set for a few minutes.  I understand not wanting to mix but you might give it another thought.  Either way, they will still taste awesome.  Maybe just wrap in bacon the way mrmodine did?

KyNola

La Quinta

Or just mix in some pork fat...? Or probably more appropriate a beef fat? The only reason I suggest beef is it's a "red" meat...