New Owner and Member

Started by mrmodine, July 10, 2008, 10:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrmodine

Hello Folks,

Just wanted to say "Hi" and thanks to all for the great information on the site.

I just started the smoking gig a couple months ago (avid griller) and started with a WSM.  I wish I had known about these Bradley's.  Have to admit, I didn't like having to manage the entire smoke in the WSM and I had a very hard time maintaining any kind of a constant temp.

Purchased my digital a week ago...received it yesterday.  Seasoned and smoked some baby backs last night.  They were very good.  Little less smoke than what I was doing with the WSM but I really like it.  The ease of use was incredible.

Ran a quick cold smoke tonight for some cheese and it did not work out too well.  Temp was getting too high and my cheese was really starting to melt.  I followed the (very) brief recipe on the the bradleysmoker.com site...which omitted the step of putting the water pan in the unit.  I thought it was intentional so I left it out.  Probably a mistake.  We will see how it turns out in a few days when I unwrap from plastic.  Probably try again and then maybe build a wood offset box later on.

Purchased a nice brisket tonight and plan on smoking it this weekend.  Very much looking forward to it.

Again, thanks to all.  I'm sure I'll have some questions as we go but man...this thing is awesome!   ;D

Christopher Smith
(Seattle, WA)

PS:  Where's the best place to buy the bisquettes?  WalMart.com seems to be the best so far that I have found. 

Habanero Smoker

Hi mrmodine,
Welcome to the forum.

The type of smoke flavor is going to be different, because you are not smoking over charcoal. Many of us switched over from the water smoker (aka bullet smoker, condom smoker).

For cold smoking it is best to detach the generator from the cabinet, and keep the heating element unplugged. The below post shows you how to set up a temporary cold smoke setup, it you search the forum you will find that some members have built permanent ones.

http://www.johnwatkins.co.uk/personalpages/coldsmoking.htm

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

HCT

Welcome mrmodine. Have fun with your new magic box. :)
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E to the forum mrmodine!

Good job on the ribs.

Cheese is something I have not attempted, since my ambient temps are too high.

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

car54

Welcome mrmodine,

I have had the Bradley for 4 1/2 years and I was very surprised when you wrote that Walmart had bisquettes. That is a good price. I usually get my off the shelf from Sportsman warehouse for $20.00, because I don't plan ahead. Cabelas and Bass Pro also stock them. The cheapest way of buying them is in a 120 pack but you are limiting yourself to one flavor. You might want to try a variety pack to decide what you like. Generally I only use 3 different flavors. I store my in a sealed plastic container to keep the moisture out. The most unusual place that carried the Bradley was Sears internet site.  I was not expecting that. Their smokers were high priced and there bisquettes were $20.00 for 48.

The other option is to buy from a few of the forum members who have opened their own internet stores.

Good smoking, Brad

FLBentRider

Plan ahead ? I think I have a 120 box of Maple, Hickory, Oak.... I get all of mine online, usually from http://www.yardandpool.com or Cabelas. I tend to use bisquettes as "filler" on other orders. If I am ordering, say camping supplies from Cabelas, I will throw on a box of bisquettes and see if the shipping charges change, if they do, I take it off. If they don't, I add another box until the shipping charge does change.

You have to kinda work the numbers. I think my Dad told me once - "If you don't work the system, it will work you!"

That _does_ mean (at times) that I probably have close to 500 pucks, but I'm ready if it starts raining pork butts and briskets

I get nervous when I open the last 120 box of Hickory..... Time to order another one.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

westexasmoker

Welcome to the forum mrmodine

Might check amazon, they have some good deals on bisquettes now and again - sometimes with a buy3 get 1 free and thier shipping is very reasonable!  Good luck!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

mrmodine

Thanks to all.

Ended up placing an order with yardandpool.com today.  Little bit less than walmart since no sales tax.

Yipee!

-CS

KyNola

Welcome aboard mrmodine.

FLBR, my first order of pucks totaled 336 so I am with you.  I'm in my last 120 box of hickory and apple.  Time to order more!

KyNola

West Coast Kansan

On the digital unit to seperate the units, you will need a small cord between the Smoke Generator and the Tower that is longer that what comes with the Smoker.  You can get the connectors and the wire at Radio Shack etc.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

mrmodine

I'm in love!

I went for the "rite of passage" last night and did an all night brisket smoke.  I got a 10lb slab at a local restaurant supply house for couple bucks a pound.  Scored the fat cap pretty well and then covered with my rub recipe (purchased from Jeff over at smoking-meat.com).  Let it all soak in pretty good and put it on the smoker at 220.

I went with mesquite this time and marinated/flipped the slab every 90 minutes.  Marinate of rub/butter/water.  Also, I put apple cider in the bowl instead of water.

Ended up pulling at around 9 hours (6am this morning) when the ends were around 185. 

Wonderful stuff!  the ends are nice and well done and in the center it's a nice medium.  Very pleased with the results and should be eating some sandwiches this week.  I'd post a picture but not sure how at this point.  It was a purdy slab...

Looking at doing a fatty tonight if I can find some cure.

Thanks to all!

-CS

FLBentRider

It's great to hear you and your love are getting along!

For posting pictures, try this:

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=7553.msg77230#msg77230

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

La Quinta

Holy Moly dude...that looks awesome!!! Welcome...you are well on your way to being a smoker man...yum...is all I can say!!! :) Other then...Well Done!!! Brisket can be tough to do...it looks awesome!!!

mrmodine

Thank you LaQuinta!

Just found a nice big pork shoulder for next weekend.

KyNola

Nice job Modine.  Wait until you get your first taste of that pork shoulder.  You will be forever addicted.  Quick tip, the day before you are going to smoke the shoulder, paint it with cheap yellow hotdog mustard and apply your favorite rub.  Tightly wrap in plastic wrap and into the frig.  You won't taste the mustard and it really helps hold the rub.

KyNola