• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

HELP!!

Started by goomba, August 27, 2008, 11:38:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

goomba

I have smoked a lot on an offset smoker, but this is my first try with the Bradley 4 rack so please bear with this rookie. How long should it take for me to smoke 3 racks of wings with about 4 pucks set on high?

I also have now been cooking for an hour and a half and my temp has peaked out at 178. I made the mistake of not preheating the unit, but you would think after all this time it would get to at least 200. I'm using a good digital sensor dropped down through the top air vent to about half way down the unit. The stat on the unit reads within a degree or two of my digital....If I can't get 200 out of this new smoker I'm sending it back so I need all the help you professionals can give me. I'm also a retired electrician so I promise power is not an issue....thank you

www.PapaMikeT.com
Papa Mike

Ed1978

1 puck of bisquete is about 20 minutes so 4 pucks would be about 80 minutes. But your would only get 2 pucks. The other two will not be pushed to the burner plate. That's just how Bradley works. Many people buys 2 or 3 "Bubba pucks", which is basically a fake puck made out of a light metal, to remedy this. Or you can just put two extra pucks. So if you want to smoke using 4 pucks, you put 6 pucks instead. You could recover the last two pucks and reuse next time after you're done smoking.

I think 80 minutes of smoking should be enough for chicken wings. You can continue cooking them in the Bradley or move them to your house oven.

Did you take out the wings straight from the fridge into the Bradley? If so, that may be why it takes forever to reach 200F because they were too cold. Take out the wings from the firdge for at least an hour before putting them into the Bradley. Also preheating Bradley will help as well. Bradley does takes a bit more time to heat up when it is fully loaded. You may want to move the meat to regular convection oven after you're done smoking the meat. The heating element in convection oven is more powerful than the one in Bradley (only 500 watts).

beefmann

goomba,

with a 500 watt heating element and 3 racks of chicken wings you are looking aat 6 to 8 hours befor they are close to be done.

and with the pucks you  only  used 2 to smoke the  wings becase the smoke generator keeps 2 on the tongue of the generator.. it would be wise to buy a few bubba pucks or buy 2 - 2 inch cupper pipe ends and cut them down to the size of the thickness of the pucks about a half inch thich then loas your  pucks as normal and the copper  ends ontop of your stack then smoke on with no loss of  pucks

beef

La Quinta

Goomba...kool website!!!

goomba

thanks everyone for all the GREAT advice!!...the smoker did finally get to temp and the wings were GREAT!! Operator error can often times be the real problem......I will get better.

www.PapaMikeT.com
Papa Mike