Rib Success - Thanks to this Forum!

Started by msu-smoker, October 28, 2007, 07:19:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

msu-smoker

I just wanted to thank everyone on this forum.  Based on reading many, many, many posts, I attempted ribs for the first time and they turned out great  :D

On Friday night, I trimmed the membrane from the back of 3 racks of baby backs (acutally, only two of the racks.  The membrane on the third rack did not want to come off, so I just cut diamond shapes along the bone side).  I then cut the 3 racks in half (so they would fit in the OBS and not touch the sides of the smoker), slathered the ribs with yellow mustard, and applied a generous portion of my rub.  Wrapped the racks and placed in the fridge.

Saturday morning I preheated the smoker to 250 at around 5 a.m.  At 6 a.m., I loaded the water bowl with a mixtured of hot water and apple juice, loaded pucks (2 apple, 1 hickory combo) for 3 hours of smoke, and loaded ribs. After 3 hours of smoke at 210, I changed water in bowl, applied baste (apple juice, apple vinegar and worcestershire), boated in foil, and rotated racks.  Continued to cook in smoker at around 215, basting every hour, until around noon.  FTC'd for 1 hr.  All told, 3 hours smoke + 3 more cooking + 1 hour FTC = 7 hours.  Not a bad mornings work.

With 6 people over to watch the game, all three racks of ribs were gone in about 20 minutes.  High praise since several people were friends from Memphis who said they were the best ribs they have every had! 

Thanks for everyone help!  The food went so fast I almost didn't get this picture before they were gone!

3rensho

Hi msu-smoker.  Those ribs look fantastic!!  Excellent job and thanks for posting a picture.

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Wildcat

Good job!  I have not tried the diamond cut on ribs yet.  I always just manage to get the membrane off.  How would you compare the cut with the removed?

You should try some Sop'n Sauce by Iceman on ribs.  I have not found anything better.  His rub is good on this as well, but you must do just a light rub because with his rub, a little goes a long way.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Duster

Looks real tasty MSU Smoker
now I'm hungry for ribs dang it
I love ribs but have not tried them in the Bradly yet. Thanks for the pic.

Consiglieri

Man, those look good.  I wish I had some time to smoke today.

My only suggestion is to smoke more than you possibly could need (leftovers are a must).  Plus when I hear things like "guys over for the game," my estimation rule is to figure out what normal people will eat, add an extra 50%, and throw something else in the box too.   ;)  No one goes home hungry, and I (hopefully) have some leftovers. 
Consiglieri

car54

Looks great. Your baste of apple juice, apple vinegar and worcestershire sounds interesting. How much of each? What did it do for the taste? You must have been savoring every bite if they lasted 20 minutes.

Enjoy your smoker, Brad

hillbillysmoker

Congrats on turning out some great looking ribs. It is so nice when your plan comes together especially when your friends can enjoy with you.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

msu-smoker

Thanks

Wildcat, the ribs whose memberane were removed were a little more tender than the ones I diamond cut.  I just got tired of trying to get the membrane off the one rack.  I would definately suggest to anyone smoking ribs to remove the membrane if you can and have the time.

Car54, the mop i used came from the "Apple City Baby Back Ribs" in  the Smoke and Spice book.  The mop contains 1 1/2 cups apple cider or juice (I used juice), 1/2 cup cider vinegar and 4 teaspoons worcestershire sauce.  The flavor was excellent.  So good in fact that no sauce was needed.

Carter

Love those Apple City Baby Backs.  Mmm Mmm Mmm!!

Did you try making your own sauce from the cookbook as well?  I add a little cornstarch to mine to thicken it up a bit.

Congrats on a great first Rib Smoke.  They look really good.

Carter

iceman

Very good looking ribs. I just had breakfast and I'm hungry all over again!  :P :)

LilSmoker

Glad to hear the ribs were a success!, they look really tasty!   

I can't go very long without a rib fix!

LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Oldman

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

msu-smoker

Carter - I did not try the sauce.  I made a basic sauce so that some people could have it on the side (I prefer my ribs dry).  Next time I will try the sauce from the book.

Carter

The Sauce that is recommended to go with the Apple City Baby Backs is well worth trying (although, like you say, they really don't need anything).  It's definitely a tasty sauce.

I've don't think I've ever tried dry ribs.  Their next on my list after making Ribs using Iceman's sauce.

Carter

beefmann