Newbie needs help with butt (pork that is)

Started by irishteabear, September 21, 2008, 10:12:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IKnowWood

I been doing from 20 to 30 lbs of BB in the smoker each year in December for work party.  I cook entirely in the smoker (8 hrs smoke, yeah 8 of Pecan) then finish to IT of 190.  FTC 2 to 3 hrs, then go in the fridge.  Then a day later (when its cooler) I take it out and shred it by hand (the hard part).  Vac Seal to let the bark and the rest of the meat all blend (which is why many times the next day is even better, more blend time).

On Party day I take pork to work cold and into a clock pot on high for a few hours with some Apple Juice in the cooker.  Then serve with rolls of anytime and different sauces.  I take Carolina Red sauce (from S&S), IceMan sauce, and some store bought (typically Famous Dave's Sweet n sassy).  The Carolina Red is the big hit, last year I took a gallon of it in. 
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

KyNola

I would double wrap in foil and hide it inside of a microwave oven(not turned on).  Will stay warm until dinner time then take it out and pull it.

KyNola 

irishteabear

It came out awesome!  I just got done pulling it, put it back in the crockpot and mixed it up with the juices already there. 

My kids just got home from school and dove in for a taste.  They both pronounced their samples as "plate lickers".  That's the highest rating they give, lol.  I hear very good frequently, but I don't hear "plate licker" too often.

Thank you all for your help.  I knew this was the place to go for help!

Habanero Smoker

I like to add vaunted vinegar sauce just after pulling. About one cup per 6-8 pound butt. Then have a variety of other sauces available when it's served.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

irishteabear

When I put the pork in the crockpot I put in some of the rub that I used and some apple cider vinegar.  That is the only liquid that was used. 

We ate it without any sauce because the meat was soooo good!

Thanks again for everyone's help.

I'm giving some of the remaining pork to a friend who got me started on all this, lol.  It will be interesting to hear what he says about it.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: irishteabear on September 22, 2008, 04:46:18 PM

YOUR HOOKED!!!! Now let the Games begin and start experimenting. Glad to hear everything turned out so well.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

La Quinta

Hey Irish....I always do pulled pork in a crock pot...I usually smoke for 4 hours (as you did)...remove it from the smoker...and then go low in a pre-heated crock pot for anywhere from 9-12 hours depending on the size of the meat (and the crock pot). I usually smoke at maybe 6 at night...pull it out at 10...then plop the butt in the crock pot over-night until it's done!! Comes out spot on...EVERYTIME!!

I have made it many times putting Iceman's sauce on it when I put it in the crock. But I LOVE bar-b-que'd pork butt sandwiches...as does the hubby!!! (You can always do burritos with the leftovers...) But that's another post!!  ;D

FLBentRider

I started to reply to your earlier post (but didn't) to say "sauce ? you won't need any!"

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

irishteabear

Quote from: FLBentRider on September 23, 2008, 02:52:50 AM

I started to reply to your earlier post (but didn't) to say "sauce ? you won't need any!"

You've got that one right!  My hubby went back for seconds which is not his norm. 

It will be interesting to hear what my friend thinks about my first attempt.  He's the one who got me started on it, he's been smokin' for years with a bradley.