How to get the outside crispy?

Started by SturgeonLake, August 27, 2008, 08:02:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SturgeonLake

I have slow roasted pork roasts in my oven several times, and the process I used was to start by using the broiler at 500F until the outside is done the way I like it, then turn it over and do the other side the same way, then turn the temperature down to 170F and leave it for a couple of hours. My understanding was that the searing would help keep moisture in the meat.

Will this method work with my original BS? Will the searing of the outside prevent the infusion of smoke flavor?

Cheers,
Russ

Oldman

I would do the 4 hours of smoke first in the Bradley. Then follow your original idea. You may have to make some adjustments... let us know.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Habanero Smoker

It's a misconceptions that shearing the outside of the meat seals in the juices, but it does and another dimention of flavor. The heat carmelized the sugars in the meat at the surface.

I would follow Olds advice.

With roasts I generally will take them out of a smoker 20°F - 30°F before they reach the internal temperature, then place the roast on a rack in a 450°F oven and roast until it gets within 10°F of the internal temperature, remove and tent lightly while the meat rests.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Snyd

Sturgeon lake? As in THE stugeon lake, in Alberta? Im in DeBolt...  ;D