• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Digital smoker is an embarrassment

Started by Curtis Jackson, October 28, 2008, 08:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curtis Jackson

After I completely wore out my much-beloved original analog smoker, I made the mistake of buying the new 6-rack digital smoker about a year ago.

What a huge mistake.

A monkey could have found the software errors in this beast.

Feed a new puck by pressing the ">>> wood" button 18 minutes after the last puck fed? Doesn't reset the state -- 2 minutes later your brand new puck will be dumped as a new puck is fed.

Set the smoker for the max 9:40, smoke for 2 hours. With 7:40 left, hit the "Smoker Time Set" button. The display instantly says "9:40". A few seconds later, it goes back to "7:40". Press the time set button again, try to hit the up arrow: nothing happens, and a few seconds later it goes back to "7:40". The only way to kick the time back up (that I've found) is to press the time set button, hit the DOWN arrow (bringing the time down to 9:20), hit the UP arrow to bring it up to 9:40, and then it takes.

No option for a food temp (not smoker temp) sensor. In other words, no way to say "smoke/cook until my food reaches 180F, then hold it there." Third-party analog temp controllers do this routinely. I wouldn't mind paying extra for it, but it wasn't available at all.

The heating element died after less than 6 months. I wrote to Bradley asking if this was covered under warranty. Their reply? "Yes, you can go buy a new one here." Way to stand behind the product, guys.

Massive temp swings (already well-documented by others).

No way to run the smoker without the connection cable from the smoke generator to the smoker. Your cable goes, you can't even cold-smoke.

Ridiculous temp restrictions: no way to hold a cold-smoke temp in the winter because the minimum settable temp is too high.

Bisquette feed motor died within the first six months. Bradley's response was to send me the parts and make me fix it myself. A $100 vacuum cleaner has better tech support! It cost me a $30 tool, 3 hours of frustration, and multiple cuts on my knuckles to disassemble the old motor and replace it.

Bradley should be ashamed. Poor product design, poor QA, poor support. But since they've never shown an ounce of shame in all these dealings, I don't expect any now.

I assume Bradley marketing will delete this as well. At least it was cathartic to write it. I was really really happy with my original Bradley smoker, even though I had to pay nearly the cost of the smoker to a third party to get an analog temp + food temp controller combo to make it really useful. I'd trade the digital piece of crap for the old small analog 4-rack unit in a heartbeat. And I have been in the tech/software industry for nearly 30 years, so I'm hardly a technophobe.

La Quinta

Sorry to hear it turned out so bad for you Curtis. I have an OBS...but have friends who are happy with their digital units. And your description of Bradley's lack of customer care is way out of character for them...

But...Don't stop smoking  :)

beefmann

Curtis,

I caan feel your  pain and suffering in this situration, I  myself have been there as well  with other products... only thing I can say is remember the K.I.S.S rule

Keep
It
Simple
Silly

I  have heard nermerious problems with the digital and have decided  not to  have one,,, and have heard others that  love it as well

I own a 4 rack OBS taht  has been  moded to 900 watt and  with a  PID .. if  anything  goes out it  would be  just that  item and thats it..

I  hope that you  will get satisifaction in your  endevour and remain a  member here

Beefmann

westexasmoker

Curtis,

I echo whats already been said, just can't beleive your having so many problems with your DBS and with Bradley customer service  ???.  I got my OBS back in March and had a few issues at first, but nothing insurmountable.  I added a PID soon after and this also took care of much of the problems.  I use this beast every weekend and a couple of times during the week, and its like a Timex takes a licking and keeps on ticking!  ;D  I wonder if maybe you just got a bad machine (lemon)  I'd keep trying to work with Bradley on some solution....Don't give up, and if nothing else ask your questions here and these fine folks will help all they can!  Good luck!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Wildcat

Sorry to hear about your difficulties.  I have the original in stainless and have not had ANY problems with it for over 2 years now.  I also added a PID a few months back.  If you purchased your unit new then I am surprised to hear about Bradley's customer service with your complaint.  You are the first person that I am aware of to have this difficulty.  I recommend that you give them another call.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

rcger

I'm also to hear of your bad luck.  I've owned my DBS6 for sometime now, and, if it ever gives out, I would buy another.  I've been nothing but pleased with it.  You mentioned the element burning out.  Doesn't the digital have the same element the others do?  Also, the temperature fluctuations haven't affected the quality of food I've produced at all.
There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!

Smokin Soon

My dbs4 has been flawless. I know there some temp issues because of the location of the sensor of the DBS. It should not cause any problems with normal cooking. Ribs, Pork Butts, Chicken, ect. The only reason to tighten up the temp control in my opinion is doing sausage. Most other cooking tasks don't really care. Rack rotation is important because of the location of the heating element. The Bradley is the finest smoker out there, unless you are willing to part with $1500 or more and still deal with a tray of sawdust. Give it a chance, read from the top notch posters here and cook the best smoked food you have ever had!

As far of any defect issues, Bradley will make it right, that is there reputation. I think some worry more about the cabinet temp than the meat you are cooking. Most of us use a Maverick ET-73 duel probe that monitors cabinet temps as well as meat temp. Throw in a properly seasoned pork butt and some ribs and make it happen!

Habanero Smoker

Hi Curtis;

Sorry to hear about your experiences with the DBS-6. Just curious as to what happened to our OBS.

By the way; I still occasionally use your smoked salmon recipe.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smokey da Bear

bullsi1911

I am surprised at your experience.  Bradley was 100% supportive on the first one I had that needed to be returned. 

And I have hit some of the programming limitations you have hit.  They did not make me mad, I found them amusing at first, then realized- Yes, they could have programmed it better but it would have cost more.  And then I probably could not have afforded it and bought an old style offset smoker and never used it.

I do find it hilarious that you opine that:
"No option for a food temp (not smoker temp) sensor. In other words, no way to say "smoke/cook until my food reaches 180F, then hold it there." Third-party 0og temp controllers do this routinely. I wouldn't mind paying extra for it, but it wasn't available at all."

So- the Oog did not have the option either.  You have to go Third party.  Man, that Oog must be an embarrassment.