curing

Started by Piker, October 21, 2008, 12:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piker

Does anyone do curing just with cure alone? I have a friend that addsit to his sausage. I am wondering if it cures it fully or do you need the salt to do a complete job? I have been researching into all the cures with the pros and cons of each but am still a bit confused as there seems to be MTQ,pink salt,prague powder,DQ etc. Is one better than another or are they all good as long as you use them as directed? I am on a salt restricted diet and am hoping someone can clarify this for me Thks Dave

Habanero Smoker

First salt is a cure, but when we talk about cures it is generally about sodium nitrite or sodium nitrates. Most sausage recipes call for salt, so he may still be using salt just adding a cure in order to smoke the sausage of to change the flavor. As long as you use it as directed, for sausage you can just add the proper amount of Cure #1, but salt is important to create a primary bind so when you cook the sausage it does not crumble and fall apart. Also salt is a flavor enhancer.

There is Cure #1, Cure #2, and Morton's Tender Quick to mention the most popular. As for solid muscle curing, I would have to research that. You would need some type of carrier, it would be very difficult to equally distribute the small amount of cure to evenly cover the meat.

Here is a quick guide to some cures.

Cures

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Piker

so in other words by following the recipe I will have to add salt regardless to do it properly and get a good taste? Is prague powder pure sodium nitrite? Thks for the interest as I am really still in the experimental stage

Mr Walleye

Habs has explained it for you, I'll just add if you are just getting started in sausage you can't go wrong with Rytec Kutas' book - Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing. This is considered by many people as the Bible of sausage making. Lots of good recipes too. You can usuall pick it up on Amazon.

Mike

PS
Prague powder (cure #1) is not pure nitrite. It is mixed with salt as carrier but it (cure #1) is much more concentrated than the Morton Tender Quick product.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Habanero Smoker

You may also want to check out Bruce Aidells' Complete Sausage Book; by  Bruce Aidells and Denis Kelly. He has a lot of great sausage recipes, and his recipes uses less salt them most, and the always come out great. My only complaint (if you want to call it a complaint) is that the recipes make small batches, most under 3.5 pounds. So you have to do some calculations if you like making 5 lb. batches.

Its a great companion to the Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing. Because Aidells' doesn't have as much detail and illustrations.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Mr Walleye

Just to add to Habs comment... Here is a recipe adjuster program you might find helpfull when making larger or smaller batches.

http://www.fruitfromwashington.com/Recipes/scale/recipeconversions.php

Mike

Piker

I have Ryteks book and charcuterie and do a good job of explaining. I guess when I read of all the products for curing I get a little confused. Is one better than another or if I was just to use one which is the best? thks Dave

Mr Walleye

Piker

I think what you want is to fully understand the difference between Cure #1 and Cure #2. Habs link that he posted does a pretty good job of that. Here it is again. http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showpost.php?p=830&postcount=38

Now, having said that there are a number of different names for Cure #1 such as Pink salt, Prague powder #1, InstaCure #1, TCM - Tinted curing mixture, TCP - Tinted curing powder, Modern cure, FLP. Whatever the name the main thing you want to check is the ingredients and they should be 6.25% sodium nitrite and 93.75% salt.

I'm assuming your looking to add cure to make hot smoked sausage or to make something like bacon. I also see your on a salt restricted diet and for that reason I would choose to use some form of Cure #1 as opposed to Morton TQ so that you can control the amount of salt.

For an example, to properly use Morton TQ in a 10 lb batch smoked sausage you require 10 Tbs, (1 Tbs per pound). If you use Cure #1 you only require 2 tsp (1 tsp per 5 lbs or 1/4 tsp per lb). Now, you still need to add salt to your sausage but you can control the amount you add.

You don't want to confuse Cure #2 with Cure #1. Cure #2 is mainly used for dry curing meats over a long period of time.

Hope that helps.

Mike

Piker

thanks everyone It took a while but I have it down pretty good now. I make fresh sausage which I add cure to just for color and flavour enhancement and if I use insta cure 1 it should be what I am looking for. Ialso make summer sausage, thuringer, pastrami, kielbasa which all call for cure so I will use insta cure 1 for them also and all should be good. Bythe way does anyone use msg in their sausage making? Thks Dave

Habanero Smoker

Yes. For the sausages you listed you will use Cure #1 (InstaCure), that cure is used for hot smoking sausages, and if you want to use it alter the flavor of fresh sausage.

I haven't used MSG, but if you are not allergic, meaning if you don't get headaches from ingesting it, there is no reason why you can't. Just remember it is another source of sodium.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Piker

thanks for all the answers. I guess I should stay away from the msg and just follow the recipe. A person can experiment with the spices rather than increasing the salt. Thks again Dave

Habanero Smoker

Good luck with your sausage making. If you come across some good recipes let us know.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Piker

All I ever made before was fresh sausage and was mainly trial and error. It was all edible but not outstanding. I started using premixed spice pkgs. with consistent results but again not outstanding. I started making the specialty sausages when I joined this board and they have been great with all the recipes coming from here. I cannot keep any on hand as friends and family keep eating it. And with the tainted luncheon meat scare its a nice feeling to be able to make your own. I just finished 17 lbs. of summer sausage I just add grated cheese anf 1/2 cup of whole mustard seed gives it nice bite. Thks Dave