Corned Beef Brisket

Started by easyridinole, October 27, 2008, 02:02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

easyridinole

Has anyone ever tried anything like this? I would like to try to make this sometime and was wondering if anyone ever had any luck with something like this.

Corned beef briskets

ingrediants for 25 lbs

5 qts ice water
3/4 cup salt, pickling
1/3 cup instacure #1
1/2 cup powdered dextrose
1/2 cup pickling spices

the briskets are to be injected with 12 to 15% of their green wt. after injecting, the briskets are packed in a vat flesh side up, and sprinkled with pickling spices.The next layer is then packed flesh side down, continuing to pack flesh to flesh with spices in between. Add brine to cover all the meat. Cover and allow to cure in a 38-40 degree cooler for 3-4 days. Brisket is then ready to use
Most people hate the taste of beer - to begin with. It is, however, a prejudice that many people have been able to overcome.     -WINSTON CHURCHILL-

Mr Walleye

I haven't done it but everybody raves about Habs Pastrami. If I understand correctly, if you don't apply the final rub, it's corned beef. I'm sure Habs will be along to comment on this. Here is his recipe, it's a dry cure.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=157

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

mybad

I just did this a couple of weeks ago....really really liked it. Here is the recipe I used.

CORN BEEF
One trimmed beef brisket, 4-6 lbs
5 tbsp Morton Tender Quick mix or Morton Sugar Cure (plain) mix
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp ground black pepper
1 tsp ground paprika
1 tsp ground bay leaves
1 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp garlic powder

Preparation: Trim surface of fat from brisket. In a small bowl, mix Morton Tender Quick mix or Morton Sugar Cure (plain) mix, remaining ingredients and spices. Rub mixture into all sides of brisket. Place brisket in plastic bag and tie end securely. Refrigerate and allow to cure 5 days per inch of meat thickness.

Cooking: Place brisket in Dutch oven. Add water to cover. Bring to boil; reduce heat. Simmer until tender, about 3-4 hours.

Preparation Time: 5 Days Per Inch Of Meat Thickness

Habanero Smoker

Mike is correct. You can use my pastrami recipe and don't apply the rub. Also, if you prefer to use a brine (pickle) you can use this recipe and don't apply the rub.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=154

The recipe you posted should work alright. It looks like one from a commercial processor, and a nice way to do several at once. The only thing that I see you may have a problem with is injecting wit 12% - 15% of it's weight. When I cure hams I find it difficult to inject more then 10%.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

easyridinole

Thanks guys, I am going to have to give this a try in the upcoming weeks.

Ole
Most people hate the taste of beer - to begin with. It is, however, a prejudice that many people have been able to overcome.     -WINSTON CHURCHILL-