Apricot Wood

Started by sodak, November 03, 2008, 09:18:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sodak

Anyone ever use it (obviously not in puck form)?  I chunked out a branch or two from my neighbor's tree he was trimming.  Should be dry in another couple of months.  Fish?  Cheese?  Pork? 

pensrock

I would think it would work well with anything you would normally use apple on.  :)

sodak

That's what I was thinking. 

Habanero Smoker

My favorite wood to smoke with is peach, and that should be similar. It is getting harder for me to find peach wood. The tree that was on my property died some time back.

Peach is great for pork and chicken. This is how I use peach wood in my Bradley.

Using other Woods in Your Bradley

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

beefmann

it is my understanding that  fruit woods are best for  poultry ( chicken, turkey, hens, ducks, ETC) and fish, if  someone knows better   please  let  me know

Habanero Smoker

Yes. Wood from fruit trees are best for poultry; but are just as good on pork. This type of woods also work well with cheese. I've never used a fruit wood with fish, but it should compliment fish very well.

When I had my water smoker, I used peach wood all the time for poultry and pork.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

3rensho

"Using other Woods in Your Bradley"

HS, thanks for that link.  I had missed it.  Gonna have to give that a try.

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

sodak

Thanks for the advice.  I've got a large storage container full of 2-3" chunks.  Should last a year or so along with the other woods I've got.  I'm going to have to post some pics of the custom smoker I've assembled.  Just doing the cold smoke thing for now.  Putting the final "heat" arrangement together.  Right now it is "un-thermostated" propane (two burners in a 2x2x5' custom welded steel cabinet) but I want to add electric burners (regulated by PID) for walk-away peace of mind.  The dual heat arrangement will be good for two things.  Peace of mind (electric) and smoke ring (propane) if I need it for some reason!  The smoke generator sits outside of the building that houses the smoker cabinet.

iceman

Sounds like a real nice set up sodak. Hope you get a chance to post a picture or two.
Thanks for the link Hab. Very good directions on how to for everyone. I do the same thing by piping the smoke from the gas smoker into the Bradley when I want to use chunk wood. Now if I could just get Olds to send me some good fruit woods. Hmmmmm.  :D ;)

Habanero Smoker

Iceman;

It was either you or Pensrock that posted a picture of piping smoke into the Bradley from another smoker that gave me the idea.

I
         don't
                   inhale.