• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Big & Easy -- Beef and Potato

Started by Oldman, November 11, 2008, 04:08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

Did our bakers in the B&E. We loved the way the skin came out. (1/2 of the time with the lid on--but I turned the potatos several times.) Reminded me when I was a kid and we use to almost fight over the potato skins.

For the beef I pick up a Rump roast. I like it better than a bottom round. The outside was really tough to cut with a good knife so I used an electric knife. However, that outside crunch had a nice flavor. What was also nice was the way the B&E sealed the meat. Even with a reading of 145 -150 on the outer edges (130F center) when you cut into it ran with red juices. The flavor was just damn good old fashion beef! The kind you use to get in a deli 35 years ago. The kind I have not tasted since I don't know when. (A better flavor than the two last Prime Ribs I did!)

BTW If you purchase bottom round get a Rump roast and give it a try. They are not real big and cost anywhere from 20 to 30 cents more per pound but you cannot beat the flavor difference.

On this test cook I give the B&E a 10 out of a 10! Not sure what Iwill try tomarrow... maybe some "fried" fish.
Olds.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

westexasmoker

Olds,

I like the sound of the fried fish experiment!  What was your total cook time to reach your IT?  I've got a sirloin roast to try out tommorrow and just wanting to get an idea!  Oh yeah I asked this in another thread, but still curious is the temp probe from the maverick safe to use or will it burn up?  Thanks!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Smokin Soon

Really happy you had a successfull cook! WTs, I have used my maverick in the lid off mode and not had any problems, just keep the probe centered the best you can. Some of the guys at work bave the extra
long instant reads that the "real turkey friers" use and say it works ok. I use a my thermapen on everything these days.

Oldman

The 3.5 pound rumb took 55 minutes. (approx 18.5 minutes per pound.)

Let us know!
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!