• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Collegen or Fibrous Casings

Started by Smokin Soon, November 05, 2008, 10:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Soon

Some recent posts have got me fired up to do some beef sticks. Got all the stuff I need, but only have hog casings in the fridge. Rytek's book is all over the place on what casing to use. Len Poli's site uses sheep casings on some beef sticks. I stocked up on stuff like dextrose, fermento, soy protien, Morten TQ, Insta Cure #1 before I became unemployed so I should use this time to make some goodies. Need some straight up advice on this casing thing. Will one absorb more smoke than the other?

Habanero Smoker

I can't help you much. I've never used synthetic fibrous casings, and I've never seen them in a smaller size that most beef sticks are made. I have used sheep casings for hot dogs and for smaller sausage links.

Fibrous casing are inedible, so you have the extra "hassle" of removing the casings before eating.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Piker

Up here in Canada we can purchase edible fibrous casing which I use for pepperoni or as you guys call beef sticks.They come in a small enough size also but they are just a little harder to handle. A small amount of cooking oil helps. They are 17-19 mm. which I think is about 3/8 in. I am sure there is places you can get them in the U.S>

Tenpoint5

SS, Straight up answer. Nope doesn't make any difference, I haven't noticed a difference at all. You will want to use the collagen casing for the beef sticks. DO NOT SOAK them before you stuff them. They will fall apart. The fibrous casing is more for your salami's. If you have time on your hands give the Biershinken recipe I posted a shot. If all else fails at least you have sammich meat. Besides its really easy to make. Let me know if you cant find it and I will send it direct.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

I use 19mm for snack sticks. Just a tad larger than slim jims but much better.

nepas

josbocc

SS,

Collagen casings here.  As was previously mentioned, I find a touch of oil on the stuffing tube to be real helpful.  I've only done Hi-Mtn snack sticks thus far, and those were in a 21mm collagen.  Gonna be trying a pseudo-Slim Jim recipe in the next couple of weeks, and will use the same casings.

Check under the "meat" section on the forum in about a week and a half, and hopefully I'll have results to post.

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

Piker

Sorry about that but after a little more research I should have said I use edible collagen instead of fibrous.