• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

talk me into the OBS, please

Started by jb1020, January 02, 2009, 01:28:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westernhunter

Dude.

Go buy an OBS, add a PID, and make any type of killer smokey food you can imagine!

To grill, go buy a Weber Kettle to make the best grilled food you can imagine!

Between a gas grill, an OBS, and a Weber Kettle, you will be THE MAN when it comes to cooking like a caveman.  Be careful though, your family and friends will have you in the back yard cooking every spare moment you have.

If we are not supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat??

Gizmo

Westernhunter,
You mean like this one?
Tim the Tool Man Taylor sized.
The Webber Ranch Grill
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Smoking Duck

I cannot wait to party with you, Giz!

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

jb1020

wow, you guys/gals are persistant.  i decided to sit and think about it for 2 weeks.  well 2 weeks are up and im going to pick it up this week.  i have to travel tues-thurs (boooooooooo).  so i get to really crank it up this weekend. 

first, can i get by without the PID?  how much is it?  can i put it on myself?  and what exactly does it do?

second, i have all day sunday to clean up the back yard, what should i put on there for the maiden voyage?

Caneyscud

The PID is a nicety for general barbecue meat smoking - not a neccessity.  Lots and lots of good barbecue has been made without the precise control of a PID.  Most barbecue meats are not that picky about the temp swings, and besides the worst swings are early on in the smoking cycle when it is not as critical.  As your smoke settle in and as the temp of the meat gets closer to the cabinet temp, the less of a swing there is.  However, if you are doing something like certain sausages, some fish, cheese, and a few other things that are more particular about temps, then a PID can certainly come in handy.  You will enjoy it and you will get to learn your smoker as the number of smokes accumulates.

Shakespeare
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

okeejohn

JB
Welcome to the forum I have had a Bradley Digital 6 racks for about two years AND a large BGE for about 1 1/2 years. I love my Bradley especially for the cheese and beef jerky...much easier to do on then on the BGE. I do ribs on both and they come out equally as good, well maybe better on the Bradley because of a cleaner smoke from the wood pucks. The BGE is very versatile, you can make awesome brick like oven pizza, breads, pies, and can sear steaks at 700 degrees. You can also smoke low and slow at 200. But, there's work involved. The Bradley is definitely easier. I was home with a dislocated left shoulder and could still smoke on the Bradley...couldn't do that on the BGE..just the lid alone is a little heavy to lift. If you can, get them both. If not, start with the Bradley. Both have excellent customer service and great forums.

Okeejohn

drano

jb1020
We're persistant because we're right ;D
Honestly, I had an Oklahoma Joes offset before I got the OBS.  I almost hated smoking because I needed to wait for a calm day, make sure I had all day to babysit the fire every 30 minutes, and finally started wrapping butts in cheese cloth to prevent it from tasting bitter.  Meat tasted good, but was too much work.  Somehow, I suckered convinced my neighbor to buy it, and upgraded to a OBS.
I've been happy every since.  I don't use it as often as I'd like (too many hobbies).  But when I do, it turns out great Q.
I've had an Auber plug n play programable PID for a month.  6 smokes and it works perfect.  Look out the window every once in a while to make sure everything looks OK.  Other than that, leave it alone.  I've made some killer sausage over the last month with it. 
An OBS is worth $300. 
So buy it.  You'll be glad you did.  And we want you to post here on how well it works for you--pictures too!  And we'll help with any questions.  Remember, we're persistant. 
get smokin
drano

Habanero Smoker

Okeejohn;

That's a nice set up. Since I'm am snow covered, I would be very "green" with envy, if that picture was taken a few days ago. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)