• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Cold smoking Salmon

Started by Leifostberg, November 24, 2008, 02:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leifostberg

I have just tried to cold smoke salmon for the first time, but it did not work well; can anybody help?

I started just the smoker on my new 6 rack BSD, external temp 6C/42F.  After one hour temp in smoker had reached critical point for cold smoking, 26C/80F and the biquettes did not advance automatically, so only one was smoked.  If one starts the oven as well the minimum temp is far too heigh for cold smoking, so that does not help either.

Regards,
Leifostberg

Habanero Smoker

Hi Leifostberg;
Welcome to the forum.

You may want to try to use the cold smoke set up.

Do a search and you will find a few ways people have set their up.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Leifostberg

Hello Habanero Smoker,

Thank you for your quick reply, and I have checked out the Cold Smoke Set Up, but I did not expect the temperature to rise 20C in just an hour in the cabinet with an outside temp of only 6C.

Is there an issue with the auto advancing of the pucks if only the smoker is turned on, without the oven???  Does the digital parts need cleaning in some ways, in order to function correctly?  I have had no problems with hot smoking, once I figured the idiosyncrasies out.

Best regards,

Leifostberg

Smokin Soon

Hey. Leifostberg welcome to the forum! What kind of outside temps are you dealing with?

Leifostberg

Hello Smokin Soon
The outside temp was 6C or 43F, so that is not the problem.
I also have problems suddenly with the auto pellet feeder; it does not advance the wood??????
Regards,
Leifostberg

Habanero Smoker

I don't have the digital, but someone who does will come along shortly. The oven and generator can work independently of each other.

How many bisquettes did you place in the feeder tube. If you only used 3 bisquettes, only one will make it to the burner. It takes two bisquettes to get the bisquette to the burner. Once the feeder tube is empty, then the last two will just sit on the drive guide (the ramp that bisquettes slide on).

Also you may want to take a look at the  Bradley Smoker FAQ's.  Answers about bisquette advance is located in the All Bradley Smokers section; towards the bottom.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smoking Duck

Welcome, Leifostberg!

Habs has you started pretty well.  You can set the DBS up to do a cold smoke using a cold smoke box which should help with keeping the temp down.  You said you did a search for that, so you should be okay there.  In the interim, the next easiest way to take care of a cold smoke would be to place ice in trays inside the smoker.  In addition, when I don't have mine set up with a cold smoke box, I simply crack the door open a bit to allow the heat to escape.  You still get plenty of smoke rolling over the food and you keep the temps down.

Hope that helps.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Leifostberg

Thank you all for your help; the problems seem to be resolved.  I will build a cold smoke box, and the auto advance was partially blocked by sawdust, so cleaning it solved that problem.

Regards,

Leifostberg

Tenpoint5

I just put a tray lined with foil then filled with ice, it kept my box temp at about 60-66* as another suggestion.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!