Need Help

Started by unmartin, November 26, 2008, 02:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unmartin

First post...and you all seem to know what you are talking about

So give me the best advice you can for this

I have a 20lb bird

We eat at 2:30....I want to start around 6ish (I am excited to use the smoker)

I want to smoke it for about 2 hours then finish it off in the oven

What wood is the best to use?
What time should I start?
What temp should I have the smoker at?
What temp should I have the oven at?

beefmann

welcome to the forum Unmartin,

as for your questions

wood to use : apple, cherry , maple would be my  choices
2 to 4 hours of  smoke
you  should start NOW if you want to  eat tomarrow at 2 30
smoker box remp should be 220 to 230
as for the oven maybe 300 to 350 for  the last hour to chrispen the skin also  check the IT of the turkey ( pull the turkey out of the smoker between 165 and 170 and finish in the oven )

pensrock

You can also just smoke the bird then transfer to the oven to finish. Like beefman said 2-4 hours smoke @ 220 then into a hot oven to finish, oven at 350 till the desired IT is reached. Apple, maple or hickory would be my woods to choose from.

unmartin

Quote from: pensrock on November 26, 2008, 05:51:52 PM
You can also just smoke the bird then transfer to the oven to finish. Like beefman said 2-4 hours smoke @ 220 then into a hot oven to finish, oven at 350 till the desired IT is reached. Apple, maple or hickory would be my woods to choose from.

That was the route I was thinking of going.

So, the Turkey itself would have a roasting time of about 7 hours (according to the instructions).....if I were to smoke it for 2 hours @220, before immediately transfering to the oven...what do you think the actual oven time would be if it was @ 325

I just want a kinda guest-a-mation..I will obviously be checking it with my thermometer....but I want an informed opinion on a "maybe start at this time" type of guess

pensrock

I would probably allow a good 5-6 hours cooking time after the smoking.

La Quinta

Welcome unmartin...you should be good to go if you pursue the oven method (after the smoking). I am smoking a turkey for a friend in the morning and then she's gonna take it home and finish in the oven. How long you decide to smoke it will depend on how much smoke flavor you want to infuse. Just remember to get it out of the fridge to get it up to room temp before you put it in the smoker.

PS...I am doing her turkey with apple...good luck and let us know how it comes out!!  :)

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum unmartin!

Our peeps here have you on the right track. I am doing a 14lb bird. I just got up to pre-heat the OBS and get the bird out of the fridge.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

unmartin

thanks for the tips..I will let you guys know how it turns out

Consiglieri

Showed up too late for this rodeo, but looks like you got good advice.  My wood choices would be apple, maple, pecan (an underated/underused selection IMO). 
Consiglieri