• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Hey Deb.........

Started by Smoking Duck, December 11, 2008, 04:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smoking Duck

I've been reading up on making syrup on a hobby level.  Amazingly, it takes 43 gallons of sap to make one gallon of syrup.  I suppose that that's what leads to the high cost of the syrup.  I suspect most of the stuff we get is made by evaporation (saw a cheap evaporator unit on Ebay for $3000).  I wouldn't ming trying to do this sometime......I know of a big stand of sugar maples not far from the house.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

deb415611

Hey Duck,

That looks interesting.  I have never heard of kettle maple syrup.  When my dad did his syrup he had an evaporator & a little tiny sugarhouse.  He sold all his equipment about 20 years ago (still has the sugarhouse, I think it's a garden house now)- it's fuzzy but he may have sold his evaporator for 2 or 3k so that might be a deal.  I imagine that the guy my parents get syrup form also uses an evaporator.  I don't remember alot of details about my dad sugaring - I was in high school, college & young adult - too cool to hang out at home at that point in my life :-[ , though as a younger kid one of my uncle's neighbors had a sugarhouse & we used to hang out there and watch and hope someone would give us a taste. 

Yup,  sugaring has it's own set of toyools. Another hobby that has you sitting, watching & consuming adult beverages(I believe the drink of choice for sugaring was hard cider).

You could do the kettle syrup with the sugar maples near your house.  You might want to hook up some type of burner outside though - I think it would get the kitchen sticky.   

Deb

Smokin Soon

I did 2 bellys with the last hobo maple syrup and they came out great. Have some Canadian Bacon in the fridge with this mix:

4 cups white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 cups water
1 1/2 teaspoons butter flavoring
1 1/2 teaspoons burnt sugar flavoring
1 1/2 teaspoons maple flavoring
Place all but maple flavoring in a medium saucepan, start to cook over medium heat but, turn temperature down just when it reaches a boil.
Simmer just 10 minutes and remove from heat.
Cool slightly and add maple flavoring.

deb415611

Quote from: Smokin Soon on December 11, 2008, 05:32:22 PM
I1 1/2 teaspoons burnt sugar flavoring

Hey SS,

Is that something that you buy?  I've never seen it.

Deb

Tenpoint5

Deb I remember when we was kids, we had an old Milk bulk tank that we had a fire under to boil the sap till the syrup was ready. That sucked, I wasn't smart enough to leave, so got stuck tending the fire at night on the weekends.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Smokin Soon

Deb, yes that is something probably you would only get online. Only a very small amount is used so it should last for some time.

Habanero Smoker

Deb;

If you are near a Jamaican grocer, you can buy it there. Often Jamaican restaurants will sell this, along with other seasonings and spices.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)