• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Rib question!

Started by csakis, December 17, 2008, 03:45:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

csakis

Hi!
I am new to smoking. This is my second smoke. I am doing spare ribs. I had enough meat to fill two shelves completely. I started smoking by pre-heating the smoker to 250 F. I placed the shelves with the ribs in the smoker and smoked them for 3.5 hr with cherry. I rotated the racks once at the 1.5 hr mark. It has been 4 hr since I started to smoke them and my temperature in the smoker is still only 190 F. It has been on full blast since I started. It is a pretty calm day outside, no wind with a temperature of 40 F. Is it normal that with two full racks of ribs the smoker can not get up to 210 F even after 4 hours?

csaba

Smoking Duck

It does seem to be taking quite a bit of time but two racks is a decent amount of meat in the cabinet.  Do you have a brick in the bottom to utilize as a heat sink?  If not, I highly recommend it.  To be honest though, I smoke my ribs at 205-210 max anyways, so the temp wouldn't bother me.

Do you have an OBS or a DBS?  Are you utilizing a remote thermometer to monitor smoker temp or are you relying on the door probe?  Let me know more about your smoker and I'll try to help you more.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

csakis

Thank you for the quick response. I am using the Original Smoker. I am using an accurate digital thermometer, just on the level of the bottom shelf. I am not using a brick, but I will "install" one for the next smoking, which will be a brisket. Actually the temperature reading on the cabinet thermometer and my digital are very close to each other.

Mr Walleye

Csaba

I'm assuming your smoking about 3 full racks of ribs, at least that is what I'm able to get on 2 Bradley racks. The built in thermometer is note that accurate nor is it located in the most ideal place. You should be using an after market thermometer such as the Maverick ET73. If you are make sure you put the probe just below the lowest rack. You want to read the temp that the meat is being exposed to and not the temp above the meat. When you rotated racks midway through did you notice if the heating element was red hot? Are you using an extension cord? The only other question is what do you have the vent set at?

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Smoking Duck

Also, to add what Mike has said, since it is the OBS, where is your slider position for the temp?  Sometimes, if the slider is set all the way to the right, I find the temp doesn't get as high as it should.  If set all the way to the right, back it off just a bit and see if that helps with the temp at all.

There are some very bright minds here (mine, unfortunately, not included) who can get you taken care of.

Sd

csakis

The heating element is red hot. I keep the vent around 1/3 open.
I just foiled my ribs 20 minutes ago and noticed the first difference between the built-in thermometer and my digital one. The digital showed 245 F and the built-in was only 180 F. I guess the foiled ribs prevent the air flowing freely. I pulled the slider just a bit to the left.  It was all the way to the right until now.

drano

Csaba
Welcome to Bradley world. 
I smoke ribs at 210 or 220.  I've only done one rack of spare ribs at a time, so my smoker temp recovers pretty quick.  But one rack still takes at least 6 hours.
Keep enough room open on every metal rack to let air move.  If you don't, you're gonna get uneven temps thru the smoker. 
Looks like others have given good advice already--which is the standard around here.

keep smokin'
drano

csakis

Thanks, drano!
That was great advice. I re-distributed my four foil-packed ribs on fours shelves instead of cramming them on just two. My temperature in the smoker is above 225 F now, well it was before I opened the door. It seems, I will need to pull the slider down a bit.
Does the little red power light have any meaning? If  I pull the slider left the light hoes off? If I reach my desired temperature in the smoker, shall I pull my slider down until the light goes goes off?

Smoking Duck

Yep, that should do it.  You may want to consider investing in a PID..........makes setting the temp as easy as pushing a button and eliminates the guesswork of the moving lever.  It's not a neccessity by any means but it sure does make it simpler.

Glad things have worked out.

SD