COLD SMOKING WHEN AMBIENT TEMPS ARE IN THE 80'S

Started by sherlock, March 05, 2009, 01:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sherlock

Even with an offset box, would it be possible to cold smoke cheese when the ambient temp. is in the 80's? I am now addicted and don't want to wait for next winter.....................

pensrock

I cannot say because I have not tried it in the Bradley, but if you do try it, open the vent compleatly, put ice on a couple racks and keep a close eye on the temps, I try to stay below 90 if at all possible. I have gotten good cheese out of 100 F temps but had to keep taking the cheese into the fridge if it got soft or oil started coming out. Left it in the fridge to firm up and the smoker to cool some then put it back in. You just need to keep a close eye on it.  :)

Habanero Smoker

I have cold smoked with ambient temperatures near 80°F with no problems. Try to restrict you cold smoking to evening and early morning hours; make sure you keep the smoker out of direct sunlight if you cannot cold smoke in the evening and early morning hours. If you can't keep your temperatures below 90°F, then use ice. The cold air from the ice will interfere with the current, so I generally leave the vent fully open, and remove the "V" (drip) pan so the smoke moves more freely through the cabinet.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

La Quinta

Sherlock...I cold smoke at about 7-7:30 at night...temp is right around 70 and I'm ok...I put ice in the bowl and a bag of ice on the bottom rack...cheese on the very top rack...vent fully open...yada...yada...I usually leave the ice in the box for 20 minutes or so before I start, to chill the box way down.

With our temps here...I am in a "foam" to smoke as much cheese as I can right now!!  ;D

FLBentRider

Quote from: La Quinta on March 05, 2009, 05:07:42 PM
With our temps here...I am in a "foam" to smoke as much cheese as I can right now!!  ;D

How many pounds have you smoked this "winter" ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

La Quinta

Probably 15-20...just me and the hubby and friends...doing some more tonight! Glad I ordered the cold smoke box from Tiny!!!

You smokin cheese down there FL?

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

sherlock

I did about 15 # but gave a lot away. My stash of 3 or 4 # won't last till next winter. i will try some using your suggestions.
Thanks
nathan