• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Hot plate in OBS

Started by Hopeful, December 14, 2008, 05:08:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hopeful

If I would want to finish cooking my sausages, sticks, bolonga etc by using steam after smoking do you think this would work?

http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=265438489/PictureID=6470155248/a=37513758_37513758/t_=37513758

I would remove the smoke generator and run the cord out of that hole.  I am still looking for something to cover that hole that would accomadate the cord.  By using steam you would cut your cooking time down considerably?  I realize that you don't want to cook it to fast that you cook the fat out.  Thanks for all your help.

Hopeful

Mr Walleye

Hi Hopeful

Here is an article on steaming to finish sausage.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=701#post701

In the article it indicates you must first bring the IT of the sausage to 135 degrees before introducing the steam. I know I've read this somewhere before but I can't remember where. If I figure it out I will post it here. I have also been thinking of adding steam to my sausage smoker that I built but I haven't decided how yet. I guess I should do some test runs next time I make sausage. You can do it simply with a hot plate as you suggested or get opt for some form of steam injection into the smoker.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Hopeful

Thank you for the link to that article Mr. Walleye, that is what I was after.  Any insight on why it is so critical to have the internal temp of the meat at 135 before using the steam?

Hopeful

Mr Walleye

I haven't been able to find where I read that. I know you what the sausage to have enough time without high humidity for the smoke to penetrate and for the color to develop properly. I thought for some reason I read it in something like a FDA inspection handbook that I found on the internet someplace but I can't seem to find it. I know in Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas he also refers to the 135 degrees if using a steam cabinet to finish in a number of recipes.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

pensrock

I'm afraid that the steam when condenced back into water will leak out of the tower and make its way into the electronics under the smoker. Not so sure I would try it myself.  ???

Habanero Smoker

I've tried this in the OBS and if the front is raised 1/4" there is no problem with condensation dripping out. The hardest part was finding a hot plate small enough to fit inside the cabinet. Also it is for a short period of time, so not much build up. As a precaution you could lay some folded paper towels on the face plate just underneath the door to absorb any moisture that may leak out.

As for why the sausage has to be 135°F I don't know. That is also what Kutas recommends, but he doesn't state why. He states that in his Smoked Polish Sausage recipe. Depending on what version you have it's on page 215 in my book.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)