Turkey Breast

Started by jeff_smoke, December 31, 2008, 03:19:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff_smoke

Hi,
    I used Tenpoint5's chicken rub last night on two small chickens. I took the chickens out at 165
and wrapped in foil. They needed to be finished a bit in the oven as they were a bit too rare. I've done that
twice now at 165, so I'm going to bump up my number to 170. I used Cherry this time and it's good, but
I like the flavor of the alder better. The alder seemed a bit bolder smokey flavor, but maybe that's my imagination.
    10.5, the rub was great. Only thing I'd maybe do next time is to reduce the red pepper a bit, although
not for me because I love spicy. There are however some wooses in my family that I'll have to cater to.
    I noted Brian's rub recipe for turkey breast and was going to use it today on two turkey breasts. Since
I have leftover rub from Tenpoint5's recipe and since the rubs are similar, I just added some additional
brown suger, paprika and onion salt to the existing rub to tone down the hot pepper a bit. I've put the rub
on the turkey breasts and wrapped in plastic as Brian's recipe indicates. Only difference is that I used
olive oil instead of vegetable oil. It won't be marinated overnight, but only for about four or five hours.
     The breasts have the large portion and they unfold to have a thinner flap of meat. Question is; should
I cook these breasts butterflied (spread open) or should I tie them up? My wife picked these up for me fresh
at fresh market. They do not have the skin on them. Seems I've read that it's desirable to have the skin on.
Should I only look for turkey breasts with skin on in the future?

jeff_smoke

Anybody? I'm guessing that tie'ing up the turkey breasts would be best,
but if anyone has opinions on this one, I'd appreciate it.

Consiglieri

The biggest concern I'd have with skinless is with drying out the meat, but if you have a breast that has been packaged in solution that may not be a problem.  I suspect that butterflied, the breast will cook quicker, but it will also leave more surface area exposed to smoke.  Poultry tends to absorb smoke a lot easier than other meats and butterflied I'd be concerned that you'd get too much. 

Good luck and post some pictures.  I'm sure others will chime in as the morning progresses. 
Consiglieri

jeff_smoke

I would have bought them skin on. I didn't tell my wife that. I just assumed the skin
would be on. I think I'll tie them up unless I hear otherwise.
If I have any bacon, maybe I can put some on to keep the moisture in.
Thanks Consiglieri.

KyNola

Hey Jeff,
It that is a boneless turkey breast, I would recommend tying it up.  I have done them both ways and tying it works better in my opinion.  As for the skin, the first thing I do is remove the skin as it typically is half off anyhow.  Rub the breast with vegetable oil before you apply your rub.  I think you will be fine.  That's the way I do mine and they turn out very well.

KyNola

jeff_smoke

Hi KyNola,
     I ended up wrapping the top large breast portion in bacon and
tying them up. Interesting that you remove the skin. Are yours still
moist after cooking? Do you need to baste/mop?
     I took a before photo and I'll post both after I'm done. I've decided
to use Alder again since it was so good with chicken. I'm going to cook
between 200 and 225 and remove at 165. We'll see.
Thanks for your advice.
-- Jeff

KyNola

Jeff,
Sounds like you have it well in hand.  You asked if mine were moist enough even though I had removed the skin and the answer is yes.  Most turkey products in the store have been so injected by the processor that I have no problem with them drying out.  One last piece of advice, make sure vent is well open as poultry has lots of moisture.  If it gets trapped in your smoker it will condensate and run out the bottom of your smoker and your wife will be most unhappy and it will knock the heat down in your smoker.  I do try to be sure I take mine out at 160 so as not to dry them out.

KyNola