• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First Smoke

Started by commonsense, December 22, 2008, 04:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

commonsense

I am going to buy a OBS this Friday.  I will then attempt to smoke my first meal.

I am going to make a whole chicken. 

I saw a recipe on here that looked good with a smiley kid behind the chicken.  I think i'll try that one.

Any advice I can get from you guys will be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Commonsense

Gizmo

If you want to eat the skin, you will want to put the bird in the oven at a higher temperature after you apply the smoke.  If you are not a skin eater, it will be great right out of the smoker.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Smoking Duck

I always keep the vent wide open when doing any poultry.  Lots of moisture in the birds and you don't want that backing up into the tower, etc.

I believe some will dust a little corn starch on the skin to help with crisping.  If I do a whole yardbird, I like to put a butter soaked cheesecloth over the bird when smoking. 

I found it very helpful to do a little log book when I first started smoking so if I got it right the first time, I found it easier to duplicate.  If there was something I wanted to switch, it was a lot easier to jot it down and remember what I wanted to do the second time I attempted to smoke something.

Good luck and have fun!

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

pensrock

Be sure to season the smoker once or twice before making any food in it.

Brisket Lover

So a 1.5 hour season at 160 should be good right?

I think that is what I read.

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!