• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

New owner Questions

Started by DevynsDad, December 20, 2008, 07:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DevynsDad

I have a 8 pound  pork butt(bone-in), will i be able to start this project at 7am tomorrow and be done for dinner time?

Oh, i have the Original Brad.

KyNola

Dad,
Welcome to the forum.  My personal opinion is probably not. Put 4 hours of smoke in the Bradley and transfer to your house oven to control the heat better but the time may be too short.  Wish I had better info for you but  in my opinion 12 hours is pushing it for a pork butt at 190 degrees.

Some of the more learned folks will be along to give you better info than me.

KyNola

Tenpoint5

I dont see pulled pork in your dinner plans for tomorrow night either if your starting at 7am
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Smokin Soon

Welcome to the forum DevynsDad, You will learn quite a bit here. I have to agree with Kynola here. If you are in a cold climate, cook times are longer. If you want to be sure, get up at 5 am [yikes  ???]
Give that baby at least 4 hours of smoke, transfer to oven to finish, pull at the desired IT, then FTC until dinnertime. In warm weather an 8 pounder takes me 12 hours.

DevynsDad

Ok, well it's 9:36pm here, and i have decided to put the butt on tonight at 190-215, with  minimal smoke, and check it in 4 hours, them let it cook till its done.

Any objections? If it is not done in time i will make it done by means of oven or bbq.

Gizmo

Pork is very flexible.  After the smoke, if you need to finish faster, you can put the butt into a foil boat with a little liquid and a foil lid, then into the oven at 350 or so and still have great results in a few hours.  You will still be cooking to an internal temp (180 - 190 deg or so).
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/