• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Ideas on where to start

Started by Smokin' Dog, December 20, 2008, 01:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin' Dog

I am getting my Father-in-law an OBS for Christmas (Yes, it is something I will really enjoy giving).  I have started reading many of the entries on this blog and find it very informative and friendly.  Also, a little over whelming for a newbie.  I want to try everything right away!!
Both my Father-in-law and I love all kinds of meat and cheese and nuts and everything else I have read about putting in the OBS.
Any ideas on what to start with - something fairly simple and straight forward?
I plan on purchasing the supplies now so I (I mean my father-in-law) doesn't have to wait long to get something smokin'.

Thanks!

Smokin' Dog

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum Smokin' Dog!

I would stock up on bisquettes and get a Maverick ET-73 remote probe thermometer.

Chicken is a (relatively) fast and easy smoke.

This chicken recipe is great:

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Smokin' Dog,
Let me be the first to welcome you (uh I mean your father in law)to the forum.  You are the newest member of a great family.  The guys on this forum have taught me so much.  I am proud to be a member.  As for the first thing to do, some will say pork butt.  They are pretty easy to do but they are also long cooking, maybe as long as 24 hours but they are sooooo good.  My first run was pork steaks and I managed to make them very dry. ;)  My personal choice for the first run would be chicken.  If you decide to do poultry here is your first piece of advice.  Open the vent 100% as poultry holds tons of moisture and will hold the temps down plus it can run down the side of the tower and out on to what ever your smoker is sitting on.  Spouses don't like black liquid running out on the floor.

Have a great time and let us know how you're doing.

Merry Christmas to your father in law and you.(I still think you bought that smoker for you ;))

Sorry, FLBR, you type faster than me. :D  I thought I was first.

KyNola

Tenpoint5

I have this figured out. Your FIL lives with you and you want a Bradley but you dont want to tork off SWSBO. So your buying the FIL the Bradley just make it look good and side step the Wife yelling at you. Sounds like your a smart boy but if she finds out you gonna need a new dog house.

What to start with? I believe someone has a saying that IF YOU CAN EAT IT YOU CAN SMOKE IT!! I will let it go at that. What ever you decide you want to try for your first smoke there is always somebody around here that can help you out with any question that you have.

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

westexasmoker

I think the best way to start is MESQUITE!  And any meat you desire!  ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

FLBentRider

Quote from: westexasmoker on December 20, 2008, 01:49:52 PM
I think the best way to start is MESQUITE!  And any meat you desire!  ;D

Now where did LQ leave that Teabag ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smoking Duck

You're incorrigible, WTS!  ;) ;D

If you like cheese and nuts, I would highly recommend getting the cold smoke add-on box now available from Bradley.  For all your Bradley needs, I've done a lot of business with yardandpool.com.  Bryan and the gang are great to deal with.  He can get you set up from bisquettes to bubba pucks (so you don't waste bisquettes) to just about anything.  

I'm a big fan of pulled pork (although it is a long smoke) as it is so hard to mess them up and the results, even for a beginner are outstanding.  Be careful, though....as soon as you and the FIL start smoking, you'll become the favorite relatives for everyone and you'll find cousins, uncles, nieces, etc., you never knew you had  ;D

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

bflosmoke

Im with the duck pulled pork is great and prettymuch idiot proof just a simple rub and some hickory and your off to the races.
My favorite is still brisket done with mesquite you cant beat the taste.
BFLO

Smokin Soon

Yep. I agree on the pulled pork. Thats what these folks reccomended for me, and it gave me the confidence to go from there. Welcome to the forum and get the smoke goin!

Smokin' Dog

THANKS Everyone!!!
Great ideas.
I don't live with my fil but the smoker will probably end up at 'deer camp'.  We spend several week-ends there when it isn't hunting season and many weeks there during deer season. 
But I must admit, I did get the OBS so I can use it too.

Thanks again.  I will keep you informed on how it is going and will ask for help when needed.

Smokin' Dog