smoking an 11 pound ham and a 6 pound turkey breast

Started by ried, December 23, 2008, 03:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ried

I would like to smoke an 11 pound ham and a 6 pound turkey breast at the same time in the bradley smoker.  I can't find approximate times that this will take so that I can plan for it to be ready for Christmas dinner.  Also what would be a good temperature?  I know what temperatures they are considered to be done at, just need approximate times and any other helpful info anyone might have.  Am new at this!

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum ried!

Time is the toughest thing to estimate for smoking. I would give the breast 3-5 hours, the Ham more like 8. There are alot of factors that can affect the timing. I start early and use FTC (Foil Towel Cooler) See our FAQ - http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=748#post748
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smoking Duck

Ried,

Welcome to the site!  It's hard to give an approximate time to be quite honest because there is so much that goes into it (ambient temp, etc).  You're going to have a decent size load, so I would estimate based on where I am (northern Indiana) that it will probably take you about 10-12 hours or more.  Make sure you take the bird to 165F IT and the ham (I assume it's cured) to 140F.  You can always FTC the meat to give yourself some leeway.  If it were me, here in Indiana and I was doing that load and I had to eat at 6 pm on Christmas, I would probably get the thing started at about 5-6 am.  If you live in a warmer climate, it may not take that long.  I wish I could be a little more accurate, but I find it extremely difficult to judge based on weight alone.  I've done two different smokes with the same size meat (within a couple of ounces anyways) and the difference between the two smokes was 2 hours.  I'd try to give it your best estimate and then build a cushion in so that folks aren't waiting.  Better to be done a little early than a little late.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Habanero Smoker

Ried;
Welcome to the forum.

As others have already stated it is difficult to estimate times. I would use a cabinet temperature of 210°F - 225°F. If you have room in the oven you can move one or both items to your kitchen oven, after the smoke has been applied.

If it is turkey breast, and not a whole turkey then you only need to go to 155°F.

As for the ham it depends on what type of ham you are starting with. If it is fresh or if it is cured and partially cooked, it will take longer then a fully cooked ham. Also a fresh ham will take longer to bring up to 152°F, then a partially cooked one. If it is cured and fully cooked then your smoking/cooking time will be much shorter, because you will only need to bring it up to 140°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)