• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoking Peameal bacon question

Started by weekendsmoker, December 26, 2008, 12:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weekendsmoker

Hi all and are you as full as I am after eating for two days?  I have a big chunk of peameal bacon left over from our X-mas breakfast.  It was previously frozen so I can't freeze it again.  I tried to find suggestions in the forum on how to smoke it but could not find anything.  Does anyone have any tips they could share for smoking this stuff?  Thanks.  It's in the raw, thawed state right now with all the cornmeal all over it so I gather I will have to brine it before smoking it.

Cheers.

Jason.

Smoking Duck

Well, I have no experience with peameal bacon (maybe Mr. Walleye could help here) and I couldn't find any directions either.  Is it already sweet pickle cured?  I would think throwing it in the smoker at 225-240 until reaching an IT of 145 would work but not real sure to be honest.  Or, you could throw it into the smoker for a couple of hours and finish it using one of these recipes: http://www.realcanadianbacon.com/pork-tenderloin/pork-cooking-recipes.htm

Hopefully, someone with experience with peameal bacon will be able to help.

Good luck,

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Habanero Smoker

Normally I don't smoke peameal. I slice it roll, it in more cornmeal and pan fry it.

If you want to smoke it, I would smoke it like I do my Canadian bacon, use a cabinet temperature of 220°F - 225°F, apply about 1:40 hours of smoke, and bring it to an internal temperature of 140°F..

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)