• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoked Fried Chicken

Started by seemore, December 28, 2008, 05:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seemore

Hello all!  Seemore and I smoked some chicken last night, in order to fry it tonight. 
First we smoked it for two hours at about 180 degrees. 

We refrigerated it overnight to get the smoke flavor throughout the chicken.
Tonight we prepared it while the oil heated up.  We used Paula Deen's Southern Fried Chicken recipe, which meant the chicken was dunked in a combination of Louisiana Hot Sauce and egg. 

Then it was put in a bag of flour and shook.   We fried it for about 15 minutes - five minutes less than usual - in oil that was heated to 375 degrees.
Here it is:

Although it was good, we have a couple questions that we are hoping that someone can help us with.
The smoke flavor was great - we could taste it from the moment we bit into the chicken.  However, the "kick" from the Louisiana Hot Sauce was gone.  Could this be in part due to the chicken being smoked?
In addition, we think that we fried the chicken for too long.  The breading, although crunchy, was falling off the chicken when we removed it from the fryer. 
UNFORTUNATELY, we did not check the IT of the chicken when we removed it from the smoker. 
Can someone give us some pointers on how to adjust frying the chicken when it has been hot-smoked? 
Thanks for all that you have helped us with so far.  We are learning as we go!

FLBentRider

That looks great!

You should send me a sample so Ii can taste if the internal temp was correct.  ;D ;D

As far as the frying time, It will be trial and error. You may be able to take the IT after the Hot-smoke, but I don't know how to calculate how to reduce the drying time.

If it was me, I would get a batch of thighs or something all the same size, and fry for 8 minutes and pull a piece every couple of minutes until you get the doneness you want.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Gizmo

I believe the heat was lost to the flour and frying.  To get the heat, put some cayenne or other hot spice in the flour and mix it up. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Stargazer

I believe Gizmo is correct on this. When I fried mine up I didn't use any flour and smoked longer so I didn't fry as long. Because I kind of worried frying for to long would dissolve the glazed sauce.

However, at the moment I am watching some movies on the computer and happened to read this and see your pictures. WOW, going on 3am and I'm now starving for some of that chicken  :o

That is awesome looking, any way you can file share some? :D
Go here for all your smoke and grilling needs: http://www.yardandpool.com

Smoking Duck

After reading the post last night and thinking about it, I gotta agree with Giz.  There was another post just a while back that lost the heat in their food just as you described.  Next time, try Gizmo's method.  I think you'll like it.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

westexasmoker

Thats some good looking yardbird!  I agree add dry seasoning to your flour and do a double dunk!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

pensrock

Giz is da man! Can't go wrong adding dried cayenne pepper to just about anything.  ;) ;D
I think the way you did it would work if finishing in the oven but I'm afraid the frying may be the culprit in washing away the hot sauce. I could be wrong but it makes sence to me.
Maybe if you were to marinade the chicken in buttermilk and hot sauce before smoking, then smoke, then batter normally the hot sauce may have a better chance of remaining in the meat. That actually sounds good, I may have to try it sometime.  :)

seemore

Great suggestions, and I will add more seasoning (CAYENNE!) to the flour.  AND, I think I will dredge it twice in the flour.  We have made the chicken before without smoking it, and it retains the kick from the Louisiana sauce.  Perhaps that kick somehow diminishes with the addition of the smoke.
I can tell you that the chicken had a wonderful smoke to it!
Stargazer, here is the recipe for the fried chicken.  It is SO EASY to make, and twice as easy to devour!!!!!

Paula Deen's Southern Fried Chicken:
One 2 1/2 pound chicken, cut up
3 eggs
1 c hot sauce (we like Louisiana)
2 c flour
Paula Deen's house seasoning

Combine the hot sauce with the eggs.  Sprinkle the chicken with her house seasoning, and then dunk in the hot sauce/egg mixture.  Dredge the chicken in the flour and fry at 375 degrees for 15 minutes or so.

Enjoy, my friend!!!

Mrs. S

Stargazer

Hey, thanks a million for the recipe seemore. Gonna make some this week most likely.

And much agree, LOVE Louisiana hot sauce. I always keep a few of the jumbo's around on stock. Can't ever have enough :D
Go here for all your smoke and grilling needs: http://www.yardandpool.com

Caneyscud

One of the interesting types of "restaurants" around here is the "hot chicken" places.  There are usually between 3 to 5 of these joints - one owned by a country music entertainer.  Most are holes in the wall.  One long timer uses just a cayenne/flour blend in varying degrees of hotness.  Another goes with a buttermilk soak, then double dip in cayenne seasoned flour mixture.  Makes for lots of nicely seasoned crispiness and moist chicken!   They both also use the same techniques on fish.  I never thought I'd like whiting, but it shore tastes good "hot".
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

westexasmoker

Quote from: Caneyscud on December 29, 2008, 06:35:42 PM
  Another goes with a buttermilk soak, then double dip in cayenne seasoned flour mixture.  Makes for lots of nicely seasoned crispiness and moist chicken!   They both also use the same techniques on fish.  I never thought I'd like whiting, but it shore tastes good "hot".

All hail the double dunk (dip)!   ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Caneyscud

"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

seemore

Great.  Now I'm hungry for fried fish.........