• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Westphalian Ham

Started by unclebuck, January 05, 2009, 05:12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unclebuck

Did a pork loin into Westphalian Ham.  It started to be back bacon, but decided that I would try the Westphalian ham thing.  It worked out better than my expectations!!!  It will have to dry for another week(if it makes it that long).  My father used to make both with the same brine recipe and the outcome depended solely on the heat that he applied in the smokehouse as to what we would end up with.  Usually the ham, properly dried, slivered and served on pumpernickel or a quality dark bread was unbeatable. 
what can't be smoked can't be eaten

HCT

Hey buck, sounds great. I'd like to see some more important facts to this post though. ;) :D
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Mr Walleye

I'll second HCT's request!  ;)

I'd love to see more details.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Smokin Soon

Pretty interesting......

wehst-FAYL-yuhn] Extremely fine ham produced from pigs raised on acorns in Germany's Westphalia forest. Westphalian ham is cured before being slowly smoked over beechwood mixed with juniper branches. The combination of the gourmet diet, curing and smoking results in a dark brown, very dense ham with a distinctive, light smoky flavor. Connoisseurs consider these

Savannahsmoker

I wished I know more about brining so as to make a ham.  Reading this reminds me of my years and all the great food in Germany.

La Quinta

Hey Unclebuck...not sure I've ever had this type of ham...although it rings a bell from childhood. Could I be thinking of a sandwich with cheese or something? (Sorry to sound so ignorant...but I do seem to remember my Mom buying it). Born in New Jersey...grew up in Florida...but both my parents are from the Northeast...don't ever remember it in the south...or we called it something else?

Habanero Smoker

Hi Unclebuck;

Welcome to the forum.

Is this the same as Lonzino; a dry cured pork loin. I thought I would give dry curing another try and have a 3 pound piece that I just applied a cure to. Started it on Saturday, I will be removing it from the cure in about 12 days, to let it air dry.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)