Looking for a good appetizer when entertaining?

Started by Smoking Duck, January 07, 2009, 06:28:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoking Duck

If you are, give this a try.  If entertaining a decent sized group (I usually do this for a dozen or more), follow these directions.  You can adjust accordingly for larger or smaller groups.  I've tried this a couple of times and folks have liked it.

Chinese Pork BBQ Appetizers

Start with 1.5 to 2 pounds of pork tenderloin.  I try to buy the tenderloin in 1 pound increments for this.

1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons dry red wine
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 clove garlic, minced
1 green onion, minced
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground ginger (I sometimes leave this out, depending on my mood but it's really good without it as well)

Marinate the pork loins overnight (or you can use the Reveo if you have it)
Next day, put in the smoker at 210, take out of smoker when reached an IT of 140.  FTC for a little bit (can do up to 6 hours if needed).

Sometimes I'll also do half-soy/half-teriyaki.  I also suggest using a low sodium soy.

If you find that the entire loin is not covered in the marinade, throw a little more teriyaki or wine in it.  It doesn't have to be submerged very much, just enough to cover.  Slice in about 1/8" to 1/4" pieces and serve as an appetizer. 

I usually use either apple, maple or cherry wood.  If I've got something in the smoker already going, I'll just throw it in there with it.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Smokin Soon

Duck, I do some loins like that with the low sodium soy or the low sodium Dales sauce. It's really good with a Yoshida sauce mix in pork or chicken. Have not had too much time to cook, as I took kind of a crap job with crap hours! Gotta do what I can! Pork loins and roasts seem to be the only good buys now. Also if you do not have Saigon Cinnamon in you mix, get some. It's much better!

Smoking Duck

Yea, I meant to congratulate you on the new job........I'd give anything for a paycheck these days  ;)

Remember, I live in northern Indiana.......we only have cinnamon.   :(

The next time I travel out of the area, I'm taking a big list of good spices that I'll look for when I finally reach civilization  ;D

La Quinta

I make something very similar Giggles...but I use a loin versus a tenderloin...I like the fat cap...just me...thanks for the post!!  :)

Smoking Duck

You're welcome, Q.  I like the tenderloin because of its bite size portions....also, I've been afraid that with a loin, I would get sick of too much of the Chinese marinade if that makes sense?  I don't throw a lot of rub on pork loin when I do them and so, I've been afraid to do a whole loin that way.  Maybe now, I'll have to give it a try.

M

cowgirl

Smoking Duck, your recipe sounds great! Thanks for sharing, I am looking forward to giving it a try.  :)

deb415611

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

smokeitall

This looks great.  I just made two pork tenderloins in the crock pot the other day and they didn't turn out the best, I am going to have to try it this way.

Smoking Duck

I forgot to mention that if you really want to make it look like Chinese BBQ, throw a couple of drops of red food coloring in the marinade.  I don't do it anymore because it's for looks only, but if you want to impress your friends, throw the food coloring in there.

SD