Afterthought New Years Ribs

Started by Consiglieri, January 01, 2009, 06:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consiglieri

I was reading/seeing all the stuff everyone else was cooking for New Years, and decided to do 2 racks of babybacks.  Found an open store, and these cookies followed us home:

Slathered the ribs with French's mustard and then massaged with the sweet/hot "Pig Rub."  Into the Bradley for 2 hours 40 minutes Apple/Maple smoke.  After about 5.5 hours, brushed with Soppin Sauce; repeated about 45 minutes later.   Also did some corn bread.  Here are the ribs (note that the two bones top left passed QC).  Sliced half a rack for now.  Each other half has been individually wrapped and in FTC for sampling the rest of the night.  Hoping the Orange Bowl is a bit closer than the Rose Bowl.  Duck: Peroni for a good Italian NY day.

Thanks for the inspiration.  Hope everyone is having a good time today.

Cheers.
Consiglieri
Consiglieri

Smoking Duck

Sigs,

I gotta tell you........you had my eyes bouncing......wasn't sure where to look.....kept bouncing from ribs to Peroni......ribs to Peroni!

Thanks for thinking of me......I agree on the Rose Bowl.....USC was by far the superior team tonight!

Great looking ribs.  Hope you had an extra Peroni for me!

Marc

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Gizmo

Gee, I thought the Rose Bowl game was great, not that I am a big college football fan.

Consig,
Nice looking spread.  My gig for tomorrow, but I won't be having any of those cookies following me.   :'(
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Caneyscud

Man it's hard to beat Spareribs!!!!  and those look terrific!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Tenpoint5

Those look finger biting good there Consigs.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Gizmo

Well Consig, here is my toast to you for leading the way.

Used a mop sauce on these after taking them out of the smoker and placing on baking sheets.
Iceman's sauce was applied at the end and then they took a turn under the broiler.

Had the first rack at this stage.  Bones (on other side and not shown) were just beginning to peak out about 1/8 inch.  Quite Tender and extremely juicy.  Would classify these as just under a competition style rib (Competition where they want a slight tug to get the meat off the bone and not falling off the bone).  I just love it when I can catch the steam coming up off a nice piece of meat - the white blur on and over the meat. 

These went back into the oven (oven was already heated to 350 and turned off), and recovered with the foil.  They spent another 45 minutes just getting happy under the foil cover.

The dark edge extending in 1/8 of an inch or so on the bones is how far back the ribs were exposed when the first picture was taken and the first rack was eaten. 

This was perfect competition style, 1/4 to 1/2 inch off the bone, and if held by one end, the meat will split between the bones and fall apart, although the meat will not just fall off the bone with a touch.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Tiny Tim

How do you get dust off of your tounge?  I just licked my monitor.  AWESOME looking ribs there, and I think I'm gonna have to make the 60 mile trip to Sams to get some of their spares to do this weekend.

Got a question for anybody who can answer it.  Spare ribs with the flank bone removed...would that be basically a "St. Louis Rib"?  They're what I'm leaning toward, but I don't like the "Gristly" ends on some of the bones, nor do I like bones that are perpendicular to the main bones (or seem like they are).

Caneyscud

TT,

OK, too much information, licking the monitor?  You need some ribs man - real bad!!  What's 60 miles? - nothing to a man who needs a rib fix.  With the $12 in gas needed, I'd be sure to get a few racks as well as a whole pork loin or two, a brisket or two and maybe one of their clods for good measure.  You might get snowed in and can't go - always be prepared!  I've been eying their whole rib roast myself.  I'm still wanting to do a smoked  prime rib roast.  Get out there and brave that 60 miles.

BTW - yes that is what a St Louie rib is - a trimmed down sparerib.  Wish I could buy them here, but can't find them.  Wallyworld around here has the trimmed off bits - they call them "Rib Ends" or is it rib tips?  Not bad or a bad price, but if you don't like gristle.  Wish I could find the rib tips that Applebees serves somewhere. 

BTW #2 - hows Dad?  Hadn't heard an update in a few days. 

You can't beat a sparerib for flavor no matter how it is trimmed or not.  I rarely trim mine - lazy I guess.

Shakespeare

"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Habanero Smoker

TT;

I use to trim them to St. Louis style. The advantage of trimming is that the St. Louis style cooks more evenly. But now I just smoke them whole after trimming off the skirt meat, and they come out good. It seems most of the people I serve them to like them that why. Or after cooking the spare ribs whole, I'll then separate the rib tips (the brisket/flank end).

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Consiglieri

Giz:  Those ribs look delicious.  We threw a surprise party for my father in law and so I didn't catch this post earlier.

Hope everyone enjoyed the holiday season.  I've got to figure a way to get my clothes to fit again.  Lot's of good food the last couple of weeks. 
Consiglieri

Smoking Duck

Just buy more a size too big......folks will think you're losing weight  ;D  Least that's what I do.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Consiglieri

Consiglieri

Tiny Tim

Quote from: Caneyscud on January 05, 2009, 08:11:40 AM
BTW #2 - hows Dad?  Hadn't heard an update in a few days. 

Check my original thread about him in a few minutes....going to update it now.

drano

some nice lookin ribs in those pics.
I almost licked the screen too. 
So many good smokes, so little time.
drano