Smoked Pork Shoulder Steaks

Started by seemore, January 11, 2009, 05:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seemore

Good evening, everyone!  I sent Seemore out into the cold to smoke today.  This is what we did:

Again, using Hot Smokin' Gal's recipe for smoked chops.   Basically, we had just a little over 5 pounds of meat, so we used 5 heaping Tablespoons of Morton Quik Cure, 1 heaping tablespoon of Hickory smoked salt, and 1/4 cup of brown sugar.  We rubbed it into the steaks, and sealed in a plastic bag and let them sit in the 'fridge for five and 3/4 hours, then added about five ounces of fresh pineapple juice and let them sit for the remaining 45 minutes.
(a note to everyone:  there is a reason that you only let the meat sit in  pineapple juice for 45 minutes.  We let them sit overnight in the pineapple juice once, and all of the smoky flavor was virtually GONE.)
WE then rinsed them and put them in the smoker for a couple hours at 210 degrees using mesquite pucks.  
Here they are:

They are unbelievably moist!  The flavor is awesome, and since it was 1.59 a pound, we just can't beat the price!
We have NEVER had a problem with this recipe - of course, except for the one time when WE left the chops in the juice for too long.  

Tenpoint5

Let me see now there's 5 steaks,and 2 of you. That means there are 3 steaks left for me!!! I think I can get there and back before the Blizzard sets in. They look great.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Brisket Lover

Ive never seen pork shoulder steaks before.  Looks great!

sherlock

Are they done after the couple hours of smoke?

KyNola

Was wondering the same thing Sherlock.  They look wonderful.  Like the idea of the pinapple juice with the pork.

KyNola

cowgirl

sherlock

Yes it does KyNola.

I'm stting here five hours after lunch and these things are making me salivate.

:D

Thinking out loud here

KyNola

Kentucky, New Orleans, Lousiana ???????????????????????????

KyNola

Sherlock,
Now I know why your name is Sherlock, very good.  How do you come to know what NOLA means?  We live in Kentucky, born and raised but after going to New Orleans for the first time 20 years ago and gone back 2-3 times a year ever since, we know that is where we are supposed to be.

You either love it or hate it.  Katrina hit 8/29/05.  We were there 11/09/05.  Had to go see how bad it was.  Not ashamed to say we cried a lot.  Best part was all the friends we made over the years were all safe.  Soon as we could, we made contact with them by phone. Made some things happen for some of them to make their loss a little better.

Sorry to ramble a lot.  Thanks everyone for giving me some time for this.  Really heartfelt for us.

Larry & Jan

Tenpoint5

Quote from: KyNola on January 12, 2009, 08:29:54 PM
Sherlock,
Now I know why your name is Sherlock, very good.  How do you come to know what NOLA means?  We live in Kentucky, born and raised but after going to New Orleans for the first time 20 years ago and gone back 2-3 times a year ever since, we know that is where we are supposed to be.

You either love it or hate it.  Katrina hit 8/29/05.  We were there 11/09/05.  Had to go see how bad it was.  Not ashamed to say we cried a lot.  Best part was all the friends we made over the years were all safe.  Soon as we could, we made contact with them by phone. Made some things happen for some of them to make their loss a little better.

Sorry to ramble a lot.  Thanks everyone for giving me some time for this.  Really heartfelt for us.

Larry & Jan
Friends talking about Friends in need and helping those they can. Where would you think the problem would be Larry? I can't seem to find any.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

sherlock

KY
Glad to hear your story did not have a tragic ending.

NOLA New Orleans Louisiana............

Thought of  of NOLA's resturant in N.O.

Nathan

HCT

I never did pork steaks but those look great. I'll keep an eye out when I go meat surfing.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Tenpoint5

Quote from: HCT on January 13, 2009, 06:34:54 AM
I never did pork steaks but those look great. I'll keep an eye out when I go meat surfing.

HCT if you have an extra BB in the freezer, you can make your own. I take out the blade bone and slice 3/4 inch steaks out of the BB. Instant boneless pork shoulder steaks and you don't have to pay the extra $.20 a pound to have them do it.

HCT

Thanks 10.5, I was thinking along those lines too. ;)
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

seemore

Sorry for the delay in responding, everyone!  When I got home from work yesterday, I had to clean the driveway and the sidewalk of snow.  When I had finally finished the sidewalk, the #!**!# plow driver went by and closed in the entrance of my driveway.  I swear I saw a gleam in his eye as he passed me......
Anyways, thanks to all of you for the kind responses!
10.5, where were you????  We waited for you to arrive, then we had to seal them and freeze tem.  Not before picking away at one of them until there were only four steaks remaining.  ;)
Sherlock, welcome to the Forum, and yes, the shoulder steaks were done after two hours. 
Cowgirl, welcome as well!  The recipe for this is on Time Tested Recipes.  It is Hot Smokin' Gal's recipe for smoked pork chops, which we have made.  We have also smoked chicken breasts using this same recipe.
We have owned our smoker for probably four years now.  In fact it was my Christmas present to Mr. Seemore.  However, only recently have we begun to utilize this Forum, and it has been a great tool for us!
By the way, we are expecting another snow storm overnight.  When I come home tomorrow from work, I will begin to plow out the driveway, and wait for that dang plow driver to show up.

seemore

My bad - Brisket Lover, I had never heard of pork shoulder steaks either, until we got a pig from a local farmer one year and those were in the bundle from the locker.
All they are is a pork roast, sliced into steaks.
I can tell you that we had smoked shoulder steaks from the locker, but they in no way tasted as good as the ones we made.

By the way, I love the picture of the cow!