Mesquite Steak - so good

Started by jeff_smoke, January 06, 2009, 04:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff_smoke

I don't remember which thread, but "commonsense" said s/he tried 40 minutes of cold smoke mesquite on a steak
then refrig'd overnight then grilled it. I just tried that tonight and oh I'm hooked. I smoked, then went straight to grill though.
    The steak I used was one my wife picked up; just a thin new york strip...not really a very good cut,
but boy was it good.
    I can't wait to try a really kickin t-bone or porterhouse. My normal favorite grilled steak is with maybe just
about 15 to 25 minutes of marinade of soy sauce and fresh minced garlic rubbed on. I think I'll try that but with
only 1 biscuitte of mesquite (20 minutes smoke) as a first try. Could be those won't mix, but it's worth a shot.
Thanks Commonsense for the tip.
-- Jeff

Smoking Duck

Jeff,

Smoke goes with anything.  Sounds like you have a good base there.  If you have a Reveo, I'd cold smoke and then throw it in the reveo with the soy/garlic combo.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: jeff_smoke on January 06, 2009, 04:19:08 PM
I don't remember which thread, but "commonsense" said s/he tried 40 minutes of cold smoke mesquite on a steak
then refrig'd overnight then grilled it. I just tried that tonight and oh I'm hooked. I smoked, then went straight to grill though.
    The steak I used was one my wife picked up; just a thin new york strip...not really a very good cut,
but boy was it good.
    I can't wait to try a really kickin t-bone or porterhouse. My normal favorite grilled steak is with maybe just
about 15 to 25 minutes of marinade of soy sauce and fresh minced garlic rubbed on. I think I'll try that but with
only 1 biscuitte of mesquite (20 minutes smoke) as a first try. Could be those won't mix, but it's worth a shot.
Thanks Commonsense for the tip.
-- Jeff

NY strip is my favorite. It is really the wider end of the T-bone or Porterhouse; the smaller end (other side of the bone) is the tenderloin. So NY Strip is really a boneless T-Bone or Porterhouse steak. I just cold smoke some NY Strip steaks that were one inch thick with JB bisquettes, and the flavor was great and the meat very tender. I'm beginning to see may grocer's label cuts from the sirloin roast as NY Sirloin steaks instead, which is a cheaper cut. I almost picked up a package by mistake.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

commonsense

I'm glad you like it Jeff.

I'm actually smoking steak and cheese right now.

Commonsense