Quick Sausage Question

Started by JohniusMaximus, January 15, 2009, 03:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohniusMaximus

Deer season was good to me.  I've got quite a bit of venison that I'd like to turn into sausage.  I've ordered the supplies for making/curing/smoking a few types of venison sausage but the meat is already frozen.  Since curing the meat takes care of the nasty little boogers that can make you sick would it be ok if I were to thaw out some venison, cure it, smoke it, then re-freeze as long as I follow the basic rules/timetables of the recipe?  I'll be following a few recipes from the Rytek Kutas book.

With the amounts I want to make I'll have to re-freeze some of it.  Just want to make sure that's ok.  Without the cure I'd be very hesitant but I figure the cure would permit me to do it.

Tenpoint5

Johnius, I have always followed the rule that you can freeze and thaw twice.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

pensrock

no problem have done it many times.

smokeitall

I always freeze my venison then thaw out enough for each batch.  After I make a 25 lb batch or so I re-freeze the final product with my vacuum sealer.  I have never had a problem. 

If you take it to a butcher shop to get made into sausage for you, they often freeze it until they get done processing everyone's deer when they have more time and then they do the exact same thing.

HCT

I've done it also, no problem.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"