• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Vent open/close

Started by commonsense, January 19, 2009, 03:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

commonsense

I notice on the forum that you guys say to never leave the vent completely closed.

On the Bradley website some recipes they call for it to be all the way closed.

?????????? 

pensrock

I never close mine. It is normally half to full open.

HCT

I agree with pens. Keeping it closed will cause backup in the generator and gumming it up.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

westexasmoker

I run the vent full open for everything!  The more the vent is closed you get a buildup of moisture and can start backing up in the SG.....not a good thing!  Seems like that some members would have a problem with the temp not coming up also with the vent closed.....I'm sure ya could do some inital smoke with it closed and then open it up along the way, I figure these guys are the experts from trial and error, and not knocking what the Bradley recipes say I still go with what our experts here do.....But once again I'm weird and run full open  for everything, along with a certain type of wood that is quick becoming LQ's fav!   ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

pensrock

Quotealong with a certain type of wood that is quick becoming LQ's fav!   

;D ;D ;D

Smoking Duck

If you run it closed, do so at your own peril  ;)

I concur with everyone, including WTS, about the vent and the wood (for LQ, that is  :D)

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

NePaSmoKer

never close your vent fully.

nepas

Habanero Smoker

If they have recipes that call for the vent to be closed while the smoker is operating that would contradict one of their FAQ's.

How can I control the moisture inside my smoker?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)