Drying Time, how long?

Started by JDNC, January 14, 2009, 03:14:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDNC

I have another small deer ham in brine and was wondering how long I need to dry in the smoker at 130* before smoking.  This ham is small (without bone about 6lbs or so total) and in 3 pieces the largest about 3 lbs.  I was thinking about 3-4 hrs at 130* but I don't want to over do it.   Any suggestions?

JD

Smoking Duck

I would think that at that size, an hour to an hour and a half would be sufficient, but others may disagree.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Tenpoint5

JD, I'm not sure how I would answer that one. With pork I go 12 hours but that has alot of fat to help retain moisture. Make sure you keep us updated. I have 2 venison hams hanging in the garage still attached to the rest of the body. Will butcher tomorrow. I want to try the venison ham thing with one. If it turns out I plan on making one for the Midwest smokeout in May.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

JDNC

SD, that's what I thought too, maybe 3 hrs if I don't preheat.  10.5, That's my concern also...there is not much fat with venison and I'm worried about drying too much.  I swear, I can't remember how long I dried the last one, I think it was about 2 hrs.  I do know I didn't place any bacon on top or anything and I probably will not this time.  I hope to put it on Friday night late dry it, and let the PID take care of it overnight. As I'm an early riser I think it will be ok until I get up.  It took several hrs last time at 200-210* something like 10 hrs or so (I really take good notes as you can see), but the temp here in NC this weekend is going to be around 10 at night and in the low 30's during the day, so I think I can sleep without a problem.

10.5,  I found the cured ham taste great but the blue skin between the musle on the ham becomes as tough as sinue after cooking.  It's so tough I just slice around it with a knife and discard.  The only way around this problem is to seperate each muscle before curing, which is too much trouble.  I would like to use my slicer but it's easier to just slice with a knife.

Thanks for the input, JD

Tenpoint5

Thats good to know JD. Thanks will try to get any exposed Blue off when butchering.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

smokeitall

I have never made a venison ham before but use to have a local butcher in Wisconsin do it for me when I lived up there.  I love venison ham.  I slice it thin and make a sandwich with a little horseradish....yummmm damn I got another one to add to do list.

JDNC

Smokeitall,
Hmm...horseradish, I may need to try that.   Been drying for about two hrs at 120*, now putting the smoke to it at 140* for 4 hrs and then ramping up to 195* and going to bed.  I don't think I can wait a couple a days before trying the horseradish though, think I'll try it tomorrow afternoon!  Just can't wrap and put it in the fridge to age...got to eat!

JD

smokeitall

I taste everything right out of the smoker, can't help it.

HCT

Quote from: smokeitall on January 16, 2009, 09:48:28 PM
I taste everything right out of the smoker, can't help it.

I do that too, but the taste changes for the better after a day or 2.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"