• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Anyone ever heard of the "2 can hack" method with the Bradley?

Started by Smoking Duck, January 31, 2009, 07:30:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoking Duck

I was checking on making some homemade garlic powder and came across a site that did it.  Followed some links and came across these pics.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/riverrats/sets/72157594283258470/detail/

Anyone here ever try doing this with the Bradley?  I can see that it would require much more tending of the Bradley but wondered what the upside would be?  I guess it would allow one to smoke for a longer period of time, if that's what one desired. 

Any ideas?

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Tenpoint5

Looks like he did a lot of adaptions to the Bradley. V tray is gone and replaced with a piece of plywood on the bottom shelf. Water pan doesn't look like it has had water in it for a LONG time.

Maybe if you cut the cans in half it might be a way to burn up the puck dust out of the wrappers.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

No! I've never done it that way. When I want to use hardwood chips or chunks to smoke food in the Bradley, I use the cold smoke setup, and use a hot plate and a disposable pan to hold the wood. That method works well for me.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

carnie1

Also looks like his other smoker is made out galvanized too

HCT

To me it looks like 'much ado about nuttin'. But hey, what do I know? :)
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Smoking Duck

The only reason I can see doing it is: less puck usage and smoking for a much longer period of time.  Not sure the real reasoning behind it tho?  It would save some money, for sure.

pensrock

There is one other reason he could be doing it that way. Maybe his pusher does not work?
If it were me I do like habs mentioned and use the cold set up with a hot plate.

I'm going to do it that way on my next smoke for cheese. When I use my old cheese smoker, old gas grill/hot plate setup, I do not have to allow the cheese to mellow as long as when I use the bradley. The cheese out of the bradley is much stronger and takes on less color. I want to see if the reason is the way the tower is made/vented or if it is the differance between the hotplate vs puck burner.

Smoking Duck

Quote from: pensrock on January 31, 2009, 03:29:21 PM
There is one other reason he could be doing it that way. Maybe his pusher does not work?
If it were me I do like habs mentioned and use the cold set up with a hot plate.

I'm going to do it that way on my next smoke for cheese. When I use my old cheese smoker, old gas grill/hot plate setup, I do not have to allow the cheese to mellow as long as when I use the bradley. The cheese out of the bradley is much stronger and takes on less color. I want to see if the reason is the way the tower is made/vented or if it is the differance between the hotplate vs puck burner.

I'm all for doing things in the name of experimentation, but c'mon, you're doing it for the cheese  ;D

Habanero Smoker

From the tags he has to the picture it seems he uses that setup for smoking chile peppers. I figured he was doing it because he wanted to use a different type of wood that you can't get when you purchase bisquettes in that flavor. I use the setup I posted when I want to use peach wood, or grapevines, and at times a charcoal for something that is a little different.

I've tried placing charcoal on the burner, and it didn't get hot enough to really get it smoldering.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)