• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

GREAT DISAPPOINTMENT...

Started by mjack1957, January 31, 2009, 12:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjack1957

I'm the owner of the OBS with a Auber PID. I love the unit.  Before I was using a Weber Bullet and I can say that the Bradley is truly a step up.  However I'm greatly disappointed in the quality of the product materials.  I was cleaning the unit today when I noticed small hairline cracks in the plastic covering at the bottom of the unit. There are three tiny screws securing the plastic piece and the cracks are right around the screws.  Now I know Bradley is aware of this design / material flaw as it's been mentioned several times on this forum.  What I can't understand is why would a company which makes a superior product allow this design / material problem to exist without correcting it?  I have not had this unit a month yet.  My usage is not heavy, i.e. ribs, boston butt, turkey legs etc.  I've never loaded the smoker.  My loads are always rather small.  So I'm really baffled as to what stress could have caused the cracks in the plastic.  Other than that the unit functions flawlessly.  It always holds the temps even at the 250 degree range.  So I guess I'll have to call the folks at Bradley and see about getting them to replace the plastic cover.

Mr Walleye

Mjack

I agree with you in the fact it would be nice if they corrected this problem. It really is a simple fix. I would phone Bradley and have them replace it for you. Secondly, I would solve the problem yourself at the same time. Here is a link to the FAQ on this issue. http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showpost.php?p=769&postcount=12 All that is requires is to install rubber feet on the front that are slightly longer than the feet that are molded into the face plate. It takes the stress off the plastic face plate.

I would assume that it could have even been cracked during shipping if was dropped.

I'm glad everything else is going good for you!  ;)

Mike

PS
Here is a link where LTS has some photos of the mod....
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=8536.msg90043#msg90043

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

westexasmoker

Hang in there mjack, I had all kinds of problems with my unit when I first got it in fact the faceplate was the first thing to go, matter of fact my current one is cracked also and I just covered it with silicone.  Make sure you have a bit of a tilt to the back and you should'nt have any problems cracks or not!....That being said Bradley customer service is top notch, they'll get ya fixed up!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Wildcat

Mr Walleye has you pointed in the right direction.  My face plate has been cracked for a couple of years now.  I simply make sure the front is slightly elevated with a yard stick.  No problems.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/