• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoke a Ribeye???

Started by sheltie, March 23, 2009, 11:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheltie

I may just be thrown out of Texas for asking this, but has anyone smoked ribeye steaks and if so, what were the results?  How long were they cooked, etc., details please.  I have a good source of relatively cheap ($8.99 lb) prime ribeye and I suspect it should taste great.  I'm pretty sure they have them at Cooper's in Llano but I'm not sure they are ribeyes.  I generally like my steaks flopping on the steaks, still bellowing, but I think I'd make an exception for this.

westexasmoker

Nope not gonna get thrown out for that!  I always throw my steaks into the smoke for an hour, then finish on a piping hot grill!  Best of both worlds, go for it you won't be disappointed!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Tenpoint5

Quote from: sheltie on March 23, 2009, 11:00:13 AM
I may just be thrown out of Texas for asking this, but has anyone smoked ribeye steaks and if so, what were the results?  How long were they cooked, etc., details please.  I have a good source of relatively cheap ($8.99 lb) prime ribeye and I suspect it should taste great.  I'm pretty sure they have them at Cooper's in Llano but I'm not sure they are ribeyes.  I generally like my steaks flopping on the steaks, still bellowing, but I think I'd make an exception for this.

Sheltie,
If you don't mind I'm gonna show this post to my wife. It took me 11yrs to convince her that I needed to buy a whole ribeye to cut my own steaks. She had a cow when she found out that I bought a 12.5 lbr for $4.99 lb on sale. I told her that was a good price and besides it was ON SALE!! Them two words are like my own personal Teabag when I get into these arguments with the Mrs. ;D

I smoke them for an hour with Hickory myself before hitting the coals on the grill. You and WTS should try a reverse sear on your thick cut steak next time. Cook indirect until up to temp then throw em over the hot coals to sear the flavor in.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Caneyscud

Bought a half of a whole ribeye a couple of weeks ago and tried to smoke it whole.  Although there was nothing wrong with it, I just didn't think that it was the best use of a rib-eye, at least to my taste.  Thing was perfectly cooked inside and there was at least a little smoke, but it could have been done just about as well in the oven - and probably cheaper.  So since, I finally tried my whole ribeye experience I'm sticking with THICK steaks.  Done them on a flat-top, under the broiler, in a salamander, in a convection, in a skillet, gas grill, charcoal grill, in a smoker, and maybe others - but the best for me is over wood - hot and fast and with lots of smoke and just salt and pepper leaving it very short of med rare.  Man of man oh man oh man..........

One time I did them same way but how Stoney Creek does them with olive oil, chopped fresh garlic, and cilantro thrown on.  Won second in beef in a grilling contest once with the hot and fast wood smoke, but rubbed it with walnut oil prior to putting on the salt and pepper, and finished in on the plate with some roasted garlic/lime/cilantro butter on top.

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Pontificator Extraordinaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

sherlock

I would have to look in my mountain of recipes etc. to find out who said this and the exact times. Someone, perhaps Habs, told me to smoke the steak for 20 or was it 40 minutes and then wrap it in saran wrap over night. The next day, take it out and finish on the grill. The times he gave me for each side was perfect. They were the best steaks I have ever eaten. If not Habs, would the person who posted this, please repost it.

Thanks
Sherlock

Ka Honu

I've had great results cold-smoking ribeyes (and other steaks).  Use two or three pucks (depending on how much smoke you want), then Saran wrap and let sit in the fridge for a day before grilling.  I usually use 2 pucks (40 minutes of smoke) and find that the light smoke taste enhances the flavor of the steak very nicely.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: sherlock on March 23, 2009, 12:47:59 PM
I would have to look in my mountain of recipes etc. to find out who said this and the exact times. Someone, perhaps Habs, told me to smoke the steak for 20 or was it 40 minutes and then wrap it in saran wrap over night. The next day, take it out and finish on the grill. The times he gave me for each side was perfect. They were the best steaks I have ever eaten. If not Habs, would the person who posted this, please repost it.

Thanks
Sherlock

I believe that was West Coast Kansan. He cold smokes steaks a lot.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smokin Soon

Quote from: Ka Honu on March 23, 2009, 01:50:45 PM
I've had great results cold-smoking ribeyes (and other steaks).  Use two or three pucks (depending on how much smoke you want), then Saran wrap and let sit in the fridge for a day before grilling.  I usually use 2 pucks (40 minutes of smoke) and find that the light smoke taste enhances the flavor of the steak very nicely.

I'm with Ka Honu on this one. A cold smoke and into the fridge with saran wrap. I like a strong smoke flavor for beef and this is the time for the forbidden messywood. The Jack Danials puck are also very good for a cold smoke It's really fun to take to a buddys house for a BBQ that thinks he has it all! Total SMACKDOWN!  ;D

eszepher

Would you marinate the steaks before cold smoking? I'm learning stuff every day!!!!

Smokin Soon

Yes, marinade is an option, Just pat dry before you cold smoke, as the smoke will "stick" better.

Ka Honu

Done the occasional rub but don't think I've ever marinated a ribeye - guess I just never saw the point of messing too much with the best cut off the cow.  Doesn't mean it can't be done (and done nicely), though.

I'm christening the cold smoke adapter on Thursday with a load of cheddar and jack cheese - might have to throw a couple of steaks on the bottom rack just to even up the weight.